Baigan Pakoda- Crisp and delicious Brinjal Fritters
Baigan Pakoda- It is been quite some time since I have posted a fried snack as no body at home loves fried food .Now the young generation is so health conscious that they always refuse having fried food at home though they love pizzas and burgers 🙂 But I love fried snacks which I grow up eating .
Winters chilly weather and rainy season demand some hot spicy fried snacks and I do make some for myself when ever I crave for fried food. Last night It was raining here In Dubai and I make these jhatpat type of snack -Baigan ka pakoda or Kachri pakoda (as they call it in Punjab)
Pakora or pakodas are very easy and quick Indian snack ,no need of pre planning or preparation, ust mix up the batter,dip vegtable slices and start deep frying. You can make pakoda of any vegetable though the most popular ones are aloo pakoda , Gobhi pakoda – khasta Gobhi , Lauki Pakoda , Pumpkin Pakoda , Milagayi Bajji these baigan pakodas and Moong Daal Bhajiyas.
These baigan pakoda batter is made with Gram flour /besan but addition of rice flour make them more crisper .Adding baking soda helps pakoda to fluff up nicely but may absorb little oil . Pakodas are best served with- Green Mint Chutney ,khajoor imli ki chutney or Tomato ketchup and a hot cup of masala chai.
If you looking for more variations of pakoda then try-
- Stuffed banana Pakoda ,
- Ram ladoo,
- khelwa-kela methi na bhajiya
- Bean Sprout Rolls
- Hara Bhara Kabab
- Methi Na Gota
- Cheesy Piza Puffs
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 5 Baby Brinjal / Baby Eggplant / Chhote Baingan
- 1 cup Gram flour / Besan
- 2 tsp Rice Flour / Chawal Ka Atta optional
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 pinch Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 pinch Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1 pinch Baking Soda optional
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- 2.5 cup Cooking Oil to deep fry
- Wash and slice the brinjals into roundels,(if the brinjal is big then slice into half moon shapes )
- apply lemon juice salt and 1/2 tsp red chili powder on the slices and mix well. and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- In a big bowl add all the ingredients except brinjal slices and oil.
- Mix water and make a smooth batter of dropping consistency. whisk it well to make fluffy pakodas.
- Add 1.5 tsps of hot oil in the besan batter and mix well.
- Now heat oil in a deep and wide pan.
- When oil become medium hot then dip the brinjal slices in the batter and gently drop in the oil .(don't add too many pakodas in the pan else they will stick together and not become fluffy and crisp,so add few in every batch)
- After a minute gently and carefully flip the pakodas and let them cook from the other side .
- When pakoda become crisp and golden then take out from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Place on a paper napkin to remove the excess oil.
- Sprinkle chat masala and little red chili powder on top.
- Serve hot with Mint Chutney ,tamarind chutney and tea.