Crispy fried corn kernels-perfect snack for monsoon
During monsoon we all love to have roasted corn cobs.In India we can see hawkers and stalls selling roasted corn on each side and corners of the road.In a small pan they lit some coal and roast tender corn cobs and rub with a generous amount of lemon juice ,chili and salt. Though we can easily make this at home but the fun to buy it from a road stall and enjoy it in rainy day is totally different .
Corn can be used in many ways , you can make different types of curries and side dishes, simple and flavorful pulao, crispy snacks or just deep fry them to make them crispy corn kernels
Last year we visited India and tasted this super crispy corns there, which is now a favorite snack of my family and I often make it. The recipe is quite easy to make, just the coating should be perfect as a sticky and lumpy coating will result in lumpy texture which won’t look nice and crispy,else the recipe is quite easy and quick to make.
While making crispy corn we have to be very careful while frying as the hot corn kernels often splutter and they may come over on your face and body , so for the safety you have to cover the pan with a splatter screen/lid or or your face with a paper so the corn kernels will not harm you.When the corns are done and become golden and crisp then they start floating on the oil and this is the indication to remove them from the pan and your crispy fried corn are ready to serve
I often use corn in curries to make – Corn capsicum masala , Spinach corn curry , Methi corn malai ,simple but flavorful Corn salsa rice , also make snacks like – Crispy corn kachoris , Schzwan baby corn and my kids favorite snack- Sweet corn croquettes is also a yummy and delicious snack.
How to make Crispy Corn Kernels
- 1 cup Corn Kernels / Makai Dana
- 2.5 tbsp Rice Flour / Chawal Ka Atta
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot / Corn Flour / Tapkir
- 1/3 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
To Stir Fry
- 2.5 tbsp Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch finely chopped
- 2.5 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce / Soya Sauce
- 1.5 tsp Vinegar / Sirka
- pinch of Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- Drain the water from the tinned corn
- Take a bowl and add corn niblets ,salt and pepper powder in it and mix .
- Sprinkle rice flour and corn flour over it and mix.(no need to add water,but if the flour is not sticking on the corn then just sprinkle few drops of water))
- Rest it for a minute.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry in a deep and wide pan.
- Add a handful of corn in the hot oil.
- Stir once and fry and once it start crackling then cover the pan partially with a pan as the corn may splutter and hit your face or body.
- When the corn become crisp it start floating on the pan.
- When done remove from the pan.
- Drain on a paper napkin to remove and absorb the extra oil
- Repeat the process with the remaining corns.
- To Temper- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan
- Add chopped green chilies and capsicum and stir fry for few seconds.
- Add fresh coriander ,soy sauce ,vinegar ,pinch of pepper powder and mix.
- Now add fried corn and mix properly.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.