Gopalkala Recipe – A healthy delicious and no cook dish made with flattened rice,yogurt ,cucumber and few spices specially for Janmashtami .
Krishna Janmashtmi is the celebration to mark the birth of Lord Krishna and is enjoyed all over India especially in Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra. On the occasion of Janmashtmi most people fast all day and the celebrations start at midnight. There are some special sweet and savory dishes usually offered as prasad and are characteristic of Janmashtmi celebrations.
Janmastmi preparations are almost done in most of the houses . There are so many sweet and savory items made to celebrate lord krishna’s birth anniversary. I always made Mewa Ka Paag , Phool makhana Ki Kheer and Kalakand for sweet and Sabudana vada , crisp falahari Kuttu ki poori , Buff Vada for savoury and Aloo Lachcha Namkeen is a must too.
Gopalkala is a recipe from the state of Maharashtra and now popular all over India. Gopalkala is the festival of Dahi handi in Maharashtra and this recipe is made and offered to God on this day and this Gopalkala is filled in that dahi handi also. Gopalkala is a very simple,delicious no cook recipe . It is a mix of puffed rice ,flattened rice ,milk,yogurt ,cucumber, fruits and few basic spices. All the lord krishna’s favorite food items are incorporated in this dish. So do make this Gopalkala this Janmashtami for bhagwan krishnas Naivadhya !
Gopal kala Recipe, How to make Gopala Kala for Janmashtami
- 1 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 1 cup Poha / Pressed Rice
- 1/3 cup puffed rice /murmura
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup Cucumber / Kheera / Kakdi
- 3 tbsp Pomegranate pearls /Anar ka dana optional
- 1.5 tbsp Bengal gram /chana daal soaked for 2 hours
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coconut, Grated
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 2 tsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 tbsp Cashew Nuts / Kaju optional
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch finely chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger / Adrak finely chopped
- Wash and soak poha in water for 2 minutes and then drain and keep in a bowl,
- Microwave the puffed rice for 30 seconds or dry roast for a minute in a pan.
- Peel and finely chop the cucumber.
- In a bowl whisk the yogurt and add milk to dilute it .
- Now add all the ingredients in the yogurt and mix .
- Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin,cashew nuts ,chopped green chilies ,ginger and asafoetida.
- When cumin turn golden then add the tempering in the yogurt poha mixture and mix gently.
- Serve it immediately or serve chilled after an hour.
- Addition of cashew nut and pomegranate is optional but don't skip cucumber.
- You can also add chopped banana,guava and apples in it .