Sattu ka Paratha – Healthy and delicious Flatbread stuffed with roasted gramflour and barley and few basic Indian spices.
Sattu ka paratha is a favourite stuffed paratha from the state of Bihar,Uttar pradesh and Bengal. Sattu paratha is a healthy, delicious ,wholesome and easy breakfast item. I
Sattu is very rich in mineral, protein,fiber so also good for diabetic and heart patients. A healthy drink -sattu ka sharbat is also made with sattu which is a popular summer drink in Bihar and U.P . I have posted the recipe of Sattu ke laddoo which you can also make easily..
Sattu is very easily available in U.P, Bihar, Jharkhanad and West Bengal and you can also make it by grinding the roasted skinned kala chana/ chick peas in the mixer jar .
You can also mix some roasted jau/ barley or wheatberries/ gehoon along with roasted chick peas to make it more healthier and nutritious. My grandfather always mix these three to make sattu so the choice is your to choose.
Making of sattu ka paratha is quite easy to follow, you just have to mix all the ingredients for stuffing and then make it like you usually do the regular stuff paratha .You can roast the paratha either with mustard oil/ cooking oil or with desi ghee, I prefer to use desi ghee to make saatu paratha but it taste great either ways.
Do try these delicious recipe to serve with Sattu paratha-
How To Make Sattu Ka Paratha
- 1 cup Sattu
- 5 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 2 tbsp Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 1 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 2.5 tbsp Pickle masala *
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 3 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel to add in sattu
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder optional
- 3 cup Wheat flour dough * For making paratha
- 1/4 cup Cooking oil or ghee for roasting the parathas
- In a bowl add all the ingredients (except the wheat flour dough) and mix them well.
- Slightly crush and mash with fingers so the stuffing bind together due to the coriander, oil and lemon juice.
- You can sprinkle some water if the stuffing is too dry .(if the stuffing is too dry then it will fall off while eating so the stuffing should be slightly moist so it will stick well with the paratha)
- Now take a medium size dough ball and spread it a little and then stuff it with the sattu mixture approx 2-3 tbsp and then close the dough ball from all the sides.
- Dust it with dry flour and roll it with a rolling pin and make a medium thick paratha.
- Transfer the rolled paratha on the hot tawa/griddle and then dry roast it from both the sides on medium heat.
- Now apply oil or ghee on both sides and roast by gently pressing with a spatula till it turn golden in colour from both the sides.
- Serve hot and delicious sattu ka paratha with pickle,chutney ,curd or curry of your choice.
- You can adjust the spice level according to your taste preference but taste best when it is spicy ,addition of red chili powder is optional.
- You can add the pickle masala from the stuffed red chili pickle (banarasi mirch ka achar) or mango pickle. Traditionally red chili pickle masala is used which gives a nice taste and flavour to the sattu ka paratha,but you can use any pickle masala available.
- Wheat flour dough- just add 1/2 tsp salt in the wheat flour and make a medium soft dough which you normally make for stuffed parathas.