Mangochi ki sabzi -Lentil dumplings in mildly spiced tomato and curd gravy
Mangochi or tazi daal ki vadi is a very traditional recipe of Uttar Pradesh. It is made with yellow lentil pakodis which are deep fried and some times steam cooked are simmered in thin curd curry.
Usually the curry is made thin with buttermilk and basic dry spices but now people often add some fresh tomatoes with yogurt. This depends on personal choice how to make the curry. The curry is not made thick like kofta curries.
This mangochi curry is served with paratha, poori or jeera rice.
Mangochi ki Sabzi /Moong Daal Kofta Curry
- 3/4 cup Yellow Moong Daal
- 4 Fresh Fenugreek / Hari Methi
- 4 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 1/2 cup Yogurt/Curd
- 18 Cashew nuts
- 1 tsp Refined Flour / Maida
- 15 Raisins / Kishmish
- 5 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1.5 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Fenugreek / Kasoori Methi
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala (whole)
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- Soak moong daal for 2 hours. grind with 2 green chillies,ginger, 1/2 t.s cumin seeds and very little water to make a thick and fine paste.
- Beat the batter well to make it lighter . now add asafoetida ,1/2 t.s salt , chopped fresh fenugreek.chopped 8 cashews and raisins. mix well.
- In the same mixer jar (no need to wash after grinding moong daagrind chopped tomato ,green chilli ,ginger ,10 cashews and curd .take out in a bowl and add 1 t.s refined flour. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan,make small fritters (kofta’from the daal batter and deep fry on medium flame to a golden brown colour.
- Take 2 tbls oil in a pan ,add 3 cloves,2 green cardamom.2 bayleaves.1 cinnamon and 1/2 t.s cumin.
- When start crackling add the ground tomato paste ,chilli powder.turmeric salt ,coriander powder ,kasoori methi and fry for 1 minute .
- Add 2 glasses of water and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat .keep stirring
- Add fried kofta’s and garam masala powder and cover and cook for 10 minutes on slow heat.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.and serve hot.
you can make these kofta’s in a paniyaram pan for a low fat version.
serving suggestions-serve with naan,roti or boiled rice