Ragi Aloo Poori- Indian puffed bread made with Finger millet and mashed potatoes.
Ragi Aloo Poori- Finger millet/Ragi/Nachni is a very healthy millet which is a powerhouse of nutrients. Ragi is very rich in calcium and protein so increase bone strength .It has a high amount of fiber so helps in lowering glucose level,controls diabetes and reduce cholesterol. Lactating mothers are also advised to include ragi in their daily diet
It can easily be given to kids,pregnant ladies and in old age too. A special amino acid is present in Ragi which helps in curbing the appetite hence reduce body weight. Ragi flour don’t have gluten so some amount of wheat flour should be added for easy rolling and it also enhance the taste.
Kids usually avoid eating Ragi but they love eating pooris of different types like Daal Poori, Tomato Poori , Pumpkin Masala Poori so they surely love this delicious and crisp Ragi aloo poori. It can be served with curd ,potato and tomato curry ,any spicy curry or just serve with some pickle and a hot cup of tea.
Ragi Aloo Poori
- 1/3 cup Finger millet flour /Ragi /Nachni
- 2 tbsp Whole Wheat Flour / Atta
- 1/3 cup Potatoes / Aloo boiled and mashed
- 1/4 tsp sesame seeds /til
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- Pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Peel the boiled potatoes and mash or grate them well.
- In a bowl add the ragi flour,wheat flour and all the spices.
- Now add the mashed potato in it and mix properly.
- Add lukewarm water and make a medium soft dough.
- Make 6 balls from the dough.
- Dust the balls with dry flour and roll to make medium thick pooris .
- Heat enough oil in a deep pan.
- when oil become hot then gently slide in the rolled pooris in the pan.
- Press with the spatula to help it puff properly.
- Now turn the side and let it cook from other side too.
- Drain on a paper napkin to absorb all the moisture.
- Serve hot with any curry or just with some pickle and tea.