Stuffed Red Chili Pickle,Bharwa Laal Mirch ka achar- Tangy spicy stuffed red chili pickle specialty from the city of Banaras
Stuffed Red Chili Pickle/ Laal Mirch ka bharwa achar is among the most popular and traditional pickles. It is also very popular as Banarasi or Patna Laal Mirch ka achar. During winter we get very good quality of red chilies for making pickles. This pickle is prepared by making a spicy tangy masala mix and then chilies are either slit lengthwise and then stuffed or the top crown is removed and then the spice mix is stuffed or pushed with the help of a small spoon.
Try using mature red chilies for making this pickle . In India we get thick red chilies but here we can’t get that thick chili so I made with normal sized red chilies. If done properly this pickle easily stays for years or can say stays good till it last. The spices used are the same as we add in mango pickle just the ratio differs.
How to make Stuffed Red Chili pickle
First of all wash the chilies properly and then wipe them well. Then spread the chilies on a cloth and keep in sunlight for an hours so all the water dry up completely. The seeds can be removed if you don’t prefer too much heat in your pickle or just mix the seeds with the stuffing masala.
Now sun dry or dry roast the spices and grind to make the masala for stuffing. Make sure to use mustard oil for the authentic flavour. After stuffing the red chilies with the spice mix the chilies are stored in a glass jar and then cover with a muslin cloth and keep in sunlight for few days or till the chilies soften a bit
The chilies can be stuffed in three ways-
- Easy way– slit them on one side and stuff the masala like the way I did this time.
- The traditional way – Chop and remove the crown of the chilies and scoop out the seeds with a small spoon to make an opening and then stuff the masala by pushing with a thick round stick or with a small spoon . Do which ever way suits you.
- Instant way– Just chop the chilies in small roundels and mix with the spices and oil and fill in a glass or ceramic jar.
This stuffed red chili pickle / Patna Mirch taste awesome with poori, paratha ,mathri rice every thing. You can add the same masala in the aloo chokha , litti , aloo paratha stuffing or spread in your normal paratha to make it more delicious.
If you love making pickles then do try these-
- Stuffed Green Chili Pickle
- Aam ka Sookha Achar
- Instant Red Chili Pickle
- Lemon Pickle
- Kathal Pickle/ Jackfruit Pickle
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Stuffed Red Chili Pickle ,Bharwa Laal Mirch Ka Achar
- 1/2 kg Fresh Red Chilies
- 100 gm Mango powder/ amchoor
- 50 gm fenugreek seeds/ methidana
- 75 gm Mustard seeds/ Rai
- 50 gm Salt
- 50 gm Black Salt/ kala Namak
- 50 gms Fennel seeds/ saunf
- 50 gms Carom seeds/ ajwain
- 50 gms Turmeric/ haldi
- 50 gms Red Chili Powder
- 20 gm Onion Seeds/ kalonji *
- 2 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- 125 ml Mustard oil
- Wash the chilies with water and then wipe them well.
- Remove the crown from all the chilies and then spread on a cloth and put in sunlight form an hours so all the water dries up completely.
- First sun dry fennel,Mustard, Fenugreek seeds,ajwain and cumin seeds for a day or slightly dry roast to remove the moisture.
- Now grind all to make a coarse powder.
- Take a bowl and add the ground powder and now add all the remaining powders in it and mix well.
- Heat te Mustard oil to a smoking point and then let it come to room temperature.
- Add oil in the spice mix and mix well. The prepared spice mix should look like a soft dough so add oil accordingly.
- Slit the chilies from the center on one side and keep aside.
- Now take some spice mixture and stuff tightly in each chili . Same way stuff all the chili with the masala and keep in a large plate.
- Heat about a cup of mustard il and then let it cool down completely.
- Pour about 1/2 tsp oil over each chili with a spoon ,take care that the masala will not come out from the stuffed chilies.
- Now put all the stuffed red chilies in a sterilized ceramic or glass jar.
- Tie a muslin cloth on the mouth of the jar and keep it in direct sunlight for a week.if the sunlight is not strong then you may need to keep for some extra time
- When the chilies are soften a bit and the colour change to a more deep dark colour then it is ready. Now keep the jar and a cool dry place and keep in sunlight once a month.
- Enjoy stuffed red chili pickle with your meal !