Rasbhari Chutney- a tangy delicious dip of Cape gooseberry
Rasbhari chutney- Rasbhari or cape Gooseberry is a seasonal fruit available in India. I love its sweet and sour taste. These Rasbhari’s are not easily available here in Dubai. So when ever I visit India i try to bring a bag full of rasbhari with me. These rasbhari’s are best enjoyed withe little salt and red chili powder,taste just amazing !
Rasbhari are also popular with so many different names in different part of the world- African ground berry, Peruvian berry, African round berry, Golden berry ,Inca berry etc.
Rasbhari is full of nutrients and thus very good for health. It is rich in vitamin c, A and fructose so good for diabetics.It is also helpful to treat Lung cancer. Have antiseptic and anti inflammatory properties. Helps preventing neurological problems. Strengthen bones and also good for liver health.
This tangy tart fruit is usually eaten raw but can be used to make so many recipes. You can make jelly, squash, ice cream, sauce, smoothies, fruit salad, compote, stir fry, desserts. Today I am sharing a simple chutney/ launji recipe which I often make with rashbhari. This Rasbhari chutney goes very well with rice, roti ,paratha or as a side with any thing. Just try this simple and easy recipe and you will be making this regularly.
Do try these fruit chutney recipes-
- Kiwi Mint Chutney
- Aloo Bukhare Ki Chutney
- Green Chili Sauce
- Pineapple and Pepper Chutney
- Apple Chutney
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 32 Rasbhari/ Cape Gooseberry
- 2 tsp Ghee/ Clarified Butter
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seed/ Jeera
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Ginger/ Adrak grated
- 1 tsp Coriender powder/Dhaniya
- Turmeric powder/Haldi
- 2 tsp Sugar/Chini
- 1/4 tsp Black salt/ Kala Namak
- To Taste Salt
- 1/2 cup Water
- Wash rasbhari and remove the husk attached to the fruit.
- Chop it into 2-4 pieces and keep aside.
- Heat ghee/ oil in a pan and then add cumin seeds.
- When cumin start crackling add turmeric and the chopped rasbhari and saute for a minute.
- Now add salt ,chili flakes,ginge and water and mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes or till the berry become soft and slight mushy. you can add some more water to adjust the consistency .
- Now add sugar and cook for a minute.
- Now remove from the flame and let it cool down completely
- Store in a glass jar and serve when ever required.
- Keep refrigerated for a long shelf life.