Pepper Cumin Rasam- a Very delicious tangy and spicy appetizer drink of black pepper, cumin,tamarind and tomatoes
Pepper cumin rasam is a very popular classic drink/beverage of Southern Indian cuisine. It is also a very effective remedy for cold ,cough and sore throat . A hot cup of pepper cumin rasam on a cold day is very comforting. Usually it is served with hot steamed rice, sambhar ,papad and a dry curry on side. But it can also be served as an appetizer drink before meal.
Usually for making rasam we add rasam powder but for making this Pepper Cumin Rasam, we don’t need rasam powder . The pepper corns and cumin is freshly pounded for the beautiful aroma and taste,don’t use already powdered pepper and cumin to make this.
You can also try these delicious Southern Indian recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Pepper Cumin Rasam
- 1 tsp Whole pepper corn/ Sabut Kali Mirch
- 1 tsp Cumin Seed/ Jeera
- 2 Dry Red Chili
For Making Rasam
- 2 medium Tomato/ tamatar
- 1 Piece Tamarind/ Imli gooseberry size
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander/ Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 2.5 cup Water
- 1/5 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- To Taste Salt/Namak
For the Tempering
- 1 tbsp Clarified butter/ Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds/ Rai
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- Pinch Asafoetida/ Hing
- 10 Curry Leaves
- Wash tamarind and then soak in 1/2 cup warm water and then after an hour squeeze out the juice,strain and keep side.
- Add cumin,pepper corn and whole red chili in the mixer jar and grind to make a powder.
- In a pan add the finely chopped tomatoes, the tamarind extract, ground pepper cumin mix, turmeric, salt and 2 tbsp of chopped coriander and simmer for about 10 minutes or till tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Remove the froth from the boiling rasam. You can add some more water to adjust the consistency
- Heat ghee in a small pan and add mustard seeds, cumin and when they start to crackle then add asafoetida and curry leaves .
- Now add the tempering on the simmering rasam and add the remaining chopped coriander and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot rasam with some ghee rice , raw banana fry papad and pickle