Rice papad- Easy to make and super crisp and delicious rice popadums recipe
Rice Papad | Papadum |Rice flour papad|chawal ke papad |khichiya papad made with rice flour! Easy and quick to make and super crisp and delicious Rice popadums recipe
In India food is incomplete without having few accompaniments in our thali. With the main course of daal ,sabzi ,rice and roti we do need few accompaniments like chutney,pickle and papad .Though Sabudana papad are easily available in the market but when we make papad at home then we can add spices, herbs as our taste preference.though there are so many variety easily available in the market but I still love to make my own batch every year
This is the perfect season to make different types of sun dried food items which can be preserved for the whole year. In fact In India we start making papad and chips before the Holi festival and continue making before the the heat become harsh and too hot to sit on the roof or in your balcony open space.
Traditionally Rice papad|khichiya papad’s aremade by making a dough by adding hot water in the rice flour then it is steam cooked . The steamed dough is divided into small balls and then rolled like chapati’s and sundried . OR a batter is made and then steamed in small plate. But both ways it is tedious and time consuming so I never tried making rice papad at home though I make aloo papad, sabudana papad, sooji papad etc every year.
This year I tried making rice papad like I made sooji papad and they turn out awesome!! so crisp and paper thin ,just the way I liked it.
How To Make Rice Papad
Making of Rice papad|khichiya papad is very quick and easy. We need good quality rice flour to make papad. Either you grind rice at home and make a fine powder or use store brought rice flour but do make sure that the flour is fresh .Then the rice flour is mixed with double amount of water and mixed well so there will be no lumps in the batter and then add the remaining water and salt and mix well. Cook it well till it become smooth and shiny and then let it cool down and when it is just warm add cumin seeds an chili flakes and mix.
lightly grease a thick plastic sheet and make papad over the sheet by pouring ladle full of batter on the sheet. When the papad’s are semi dried then flip the side and sundry for 2-3 days . It depends on the heat in the weather. Papad should dry completely before storing else they may get fungus .
I have made small size papad’s but you can make bigger if you like. The most important thing is to cook the batter properly else the papad will got cracks while sun drying.
You can also try these papad and chips recipes-
- Sabudana Papad
- Sooji Papad
- Aloo Papad and Aloo Sev
- Sundried Potato Chips
- Moong Daal Mangodi
- Sun dried Tomatoes
you can subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka for new recipes every week
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Easy Rice Papad Recipe
- 1/2 cup Rice flour/ Chawal ka aata
- 4 cup Water/ Paani
- 1/3 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/ jeera
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes/ Kuti Hui Laal Mirch
- 1/8 Tsp Papad khaar optional
- In a heavy bottom pan add 2 cups of water and add the rice flour and mix it well so there will be no lumps in the batter.
- Now add papad khaar, salt and 2 cups of water and mix again
- Now put the pan on the gas stove and cook on medium flame till it start to boil, keep stirring it continuously else it may stick and burn at the bottom.
- When the batter start boiling lower the heat and cook for 5-7 minutes or till it thicken and get a nice shine in the batter.
- Now let it cool down slightly and when it become slight warm then add cumin and chili flakes and mix.
- Lightly grease a thick plastic sheet and spread in direct sunlight or under the fan.
- Now pour spoon full of batter on the plastic sheet and gently spread to make round medium thick papad. Dont make them thin else they will break while taking off from the sheet .They will become thinner when dried.
- When the papad become semi dried then turn the sides and let them dry completely.
- It may take 2-3 days to dry completely depending on the heat in the weather.
- When the papad's dried completely store in an airtight jar.
- Deep fry in hot oil when needed.