Kuttu Ki Khichdi- Buckwheat grouts cooked with potato and few spices and herbs- Navaratri Fasting Recipe
Kuttu Ki Khichdi- Buckwheat/Kuttu/kutto//papparai is a healthy gluten free super food. It is rich in protein, fiber,Vitamin B, Magnesium, phosphorous. Kuttu is a fruit seed called as pseudo-cereals. It is ideal for boosting heart health. It is Rich in fiber so helps in digestion. It is very good for weight management. Low glycemic index makes it a ideal food for diabetic patients also .
Kuttu or buckwheat is mainly used during fasting days. Buckwheat/ kuttu flour is used to make pakoda, halwa, pancakes, parathas and poori . Buckwheat grouts /daliya is also easily available in the market. They are the hulled seed of buckwheat plant.These grouts/daliya can also be used to make so many healthy and delicious recipes i.e daliya,khichdi ,pulao,salad, porridge etc.
These buckwheat grouts take quite some times to cook so it is a better idea to soak them in water before cooking.This Kuttu ki khichdi/ kuttu pulao is a very good recipes for fasting days as it is healthy and easy to cook and a filling main course recipe. I loved the soft chewy texture of kuttu grouts in the khichdi. You can also make this khichdi regularly and enjoy a guilt free healthy diet. It can also be packed in lunch boxes.
How To Make Kuttu Ki Khichdi
For making this kuttu khichdi first soak the kuttu grouts/kuttu daliya in water for 30 minutes(you can make this without soaking also but soaking gives a nice texture) . Heat ghee in the cooker and add cumin,hing, chopped potato,chopped ginger and green chilies. Saute for few minutes. Drain water from the soaked kuttu and add in the tempering and saute for few seconds. Add water and pressure cook for a whistle. Now cook on low heat for 15 minutes. When the cooker cool down then open sand stir gently. add lemon juice and chopped fresh coriander.
If you don’t use green chilies and ginger in fasting then just add pepper powder instead of green chili and ginger. As kuttu is warm in nature/ hot taseer so it is advised to serve kuutu khichdi with some curd to balance the nature.
You may also want to try these Fasting Recipes-
- Aloo Lachcha Namkeen
- Rajgiri Ka Batata Vada
- Vrat ka Medu Vada
- Samak Dahi Ki Khichdi
- Buff Vada/ Nariyal Kachori
- Paneer Kheer
- Aloo moongphali Ki Sabzi
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Kuttu Ki Khichdi for Fasting
- 1/2 cup Buckwheat grouts/ Kuttu Daliya
- 1 small Potato
- 1.5 tsp Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- Pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- To Taste Salt
- 1.5 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- Wash and soak kuttu daliya/ buckwheat grouts in water for 30 minutes.
- Peel and chop potato into small pieces.
- Now drain the water from the kuttu daliya and keep aside
- Heat ghee in the pressure cooker and then add cumin seeds. when seeds start to crackle then add chopped potato,green chilies and ginger and give a stir.
- Now add the soaked kuttu daliya and stir for few seconds.
- Add 1.5 cup water and salt and mix.
- Pressure cook on medium heat for a whistles and then lower the heat and simmer for 10 -15 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and then allow the cooker to cool down completely.( If its slightly raw or there is water left then cook further for some time.)
- Now open the cooker and gently fluff the kuttu khichdi.
- Add lemon juice and chopped coriander and a tsp of ghee (ghee is optional)
- Mix it and serve with some curd and chutney of your choice.
- If you don't use green chili and ginger in fasting then use crushed pepper.
- Can use some coarsely pounded roasted peanuts when you add lemon juice.