Rajgiri batata vada- Crisp and delicious potato and Amaranth flour dumplings/Vrat ka khana
Rajgiri batata vada – Most of the people in North India fast during Janmashtmi, Navaratri and Ekadashi and eat only satvik food as grains and pulses are prohibited during fasting .
Sabudana(sago), Singhoraka atta(Water chestnut flour), kuttu(buck wheat flour), Sama(Barnyarmillet ),Rajgiri atta, Ramdana are used for making patties, poori and pilafs.
Only some selected spices can be used during fasting i.e sendha namak(rock salt),pepper powder salt),mango powder,asafoetida and cumin seeds.But it may vary from region to region.
Usually batata vada is made with gram flour /besan but during fasting I make Rajgiri ka batata vada with Rajgiri atta/kuttu atta or some times with singhora ka atta. It depends on the availability of the flour.
I have posted few more fasting recipes in my blog as vrat ka khana
You can also try these delicious Recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Rajgiri ka Batata Vada
For Making the vada
- 3 Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 1.5 tsp Green chilies/Hari Mirch chopped
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1.5 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/2 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- 1.5 tsp Raisins chopped
- 1 tbsp Cashew Nuts / Kaju chopped-
- 2 tsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- to taste Salt / Namak
For the batter
- 1 cup Amaranth flour/Rajgiri flour
- 3/4 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- Pinch of Asafoetida / Hing powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- Peel and mash boiled potatoes in a bowl.
- Heat 2 tsp of ghee in a heavy bottom pan and add 1tsp of cumin seeds.
- Now add pinch of asafoetida and chopped chilies in the pan and stir .
- Add ginger,mashed potato,cashews,raisins,salt and pepper powder and stir fry for a minute
- Add lemon juice or mango powder and fresh coriander,mix well and remove from the flame.
- Let it cool down a bit and then make small balls of equal size.
- In a big and wide bowl add rajgiri ka atta.
- Add salt,pepper powder,cumin seeds,asafoetida in rajgiri flour.
- Add water to make a medium thick batter of coating consistency.
- Heat enough oil/ghee in a deep and wide pan.
- Now dip the potato balls in the batter and drop gently in hot oil.
- Deep fry vadas on medium heat till golden and crisp.
- Serve hot with kiwi and mint chutney or aam papad chutney.
I will love to learn new recipe from you.I will surely try to make them and post in my blog If I like them.
Thanks for your quick response maám. Will keep following your blog. EVen I started one a little while ago, but due to work commitments, I could continue my work on that. I am actually a Tamilian married to a Kannadiga and staying in Andhra Pradesh. 🙂 Can share my recipes with you from all these three places, through mail, if that is ok with you.
Pls do let me know.
Hi Renu-if you are making this batata vada for fasting days then you can use kuttu ka aata /buckwheat flour,singhora ka aata/water chestnut flour or any flour which you normally use on fasting days,but if you are not fasting then use gram flour/besan.
Thanks for the recipe. Sounds interesting. However, can u kindly let me know an alternative for rajgiri ka atta plz? We stay in Hyderabad, and I have no idea if we get this here. So is the request.
aapne yaad dila diya..we used to wait for fasting days esp janmashtami (as this was the only allowed fast for kids)for this vada and one more pakoda made with this flour. 🙂 Lovely pictures.
Priti S says
I make same too …some time even with singhara atta
Sushma Madhuchandra says
I'm feeling hungry after seeing these 🙂
Sanoli Ghosh says
Healthy version of batata vada. Yummy and delicious!
I made batata vada for rakhi yesterday. Rajgira atta is so new to me and such a healthy twist to this sinful delight.
Hamaree Rasoi says
Delicious and mouthwatering snack. Loved the snack.
Lovely.. A nice snack for a rainy eve !