Rajgiri batata vada- Crisp and delicious potato and Amaranth flour dumplings/Vrat ka khana
Most of the people in North India fast during Janmashtmi, Navratri and Ekadashi and eat only satvik
food as grains and pulses are prohibited during fasting .
Sabudana(sago),Singhoraka atta(Water chestnut flour),kuttu(buck wheat flour), Sama(Barnyarn
millet ),Rajgiri atta,Ramdana are used for making pattices,pooris and pilafs.
Only some selected spices can be used during fasting i.e sendha namak(rock salt),pepper powder salt),mango powder,asafoetida and cumin seeds.But it may vary from region to region.
Usually batata vada is made with gram flour /besan but during fasting I make Rajgiri ka batata vada with Rajgiri atta/kuttu atta or some times with singhora ka atta,depends on the availability of the flour.
I have posted few more fasting recipes in my blog as vrat ka khana
You can also try these delicious Recipes-
- Samak aloo ki tikki
- Kuttu ke dahivada
- Sabudana thalipeth
- Aloo Ka halwa
- Pumpkin Raita
- Lauki ka halwa
- Rajgiri ka batata vada
Prep time-15 min
Cooking time-10 min
- Pototo,boiled- 3
- Green chilies,chopped- 1.5 tsp
- Ginger,chopped- 1.5 tsp
- Fresh coriander- 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice-1.5 tsp
- Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- Raisins,chopped- 1.5 tsp
- Cashew nuts,chopped- 1tbsp
- Ghee-2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Rajgiri flour/Amaranth flour -1 cup *
- Pepper powder- 3/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 3/4 tsp
- Asafoetida- pinch of
- Salt- to taste
- Peel and mash boiled potatoes in a bowl.
- Heat 2 tsp of ghee in a heavy bottom pan and add 1tsp of cumin seeds.
- Now add pinch of asafoetida and chopped chilies in the pan and stir .
- Add ginger,mashed potato,cashews,raisins,salt and pepper powder and stir fry for a minute
- Add lemon juice or mango powder and fresh coriander,mix well and remove from the flame.
- Let it cool down a bit and then make small balls of equal size.
- In a big and wide bowl add rajgiri ka atta.
- Add salt,pepper powder,cumin seeds,asafoetida in rajgiri flour.
- Add water to make a medium thick batter of coating consistency.
- Heat enough oil/ghee in a deep and wide pan.
- Now dip the potato balls in the batter and drop gently in hot oil.
- Deep fry vadas on medium heat till golden and crisp.
- Serve hot.
You can also make these vadas with kuttu ka atta /buckwheat flour or singhora ka atta/water chestnut flour or a mix of all these flours.