Bisi bele Bhath- Healthy delicious rice,lentil and vegetable medley/ Kedgeree
Bisbele bhath is a very delicious ,flavorful spicy preparation from Karnataka. It is traditional comfort food of Karnataka .This is a version of North Indian Khichdi made with tuvar daal, rice and assorted vegetables.
Bisi means Hot and bele means lentils. so its a spicy hot rice ,lentil and vegetable medley. A perfect delicious one pot meal and is also ideal to carry in lunch box. This dish is easily available in all South Indian eateries .This dish is also popular as Bisi bele huli anna in some parts of Karnataka.
A very flavorful spice blend bisibele bhath masala is added in it which gives a typical flavour to this aromatic dish. The spice blend can be made fresh or a good brand ready made bisibele bhath masala can also be used . Ipersonally like MTR brand masala but you can use any brand of your choice.
Sambhar Sadam is also a popular delicious rice and lentil dish from Southern India but is quite different then Bisibele bhath.
How To make Perfect and Delicious Bisibele Bhath-
- To make bisibele bhath first you have to cook the soaked rice with chopped vegetables.(cook till rice become soft but don’t make it mushy)
- Soak and pressure cook soaked tuvar daal /pigeon pea lentil with chopped tomatoes and peanuts till soft and mushy.
- You do need Bisibele bhath masala for making this bhath. So either make the masala yourself or use good quality of ready made one.
- The common vegetables used are – carrots ,capsicum ,green peas ,tomato, french beans, can also add knol khol ,chow chow , cauliflower or any vegetable of your choice or availability.
- Tamarind and jaggary are added to give a nice tangy taste so don’t skip both.
- After pressure cooking daal and rice separately, then bisibele bhath masala ,jaggary ,tamarind, water and rest of the spices are added and it is simmered for about 20-30 minutes till mixed well. Then teh tempering is added and again simmer for about 5 minutes.
- You can also pressure cook lentil, rice and vegetables together if you are short of time but traditionally both are cooked separately because daal is cooked quite smooth and creamy and the rice is cooked till soft and done but not creamy or mushy.
- Bisibele bhath should be served hot as it tend to thicken as it cools down .To adjust the consistency add some hot boiling water and give a boil before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of ghee, potato chips,fried papad ,dahi ,khari boondi and some salad with it.
You may also like these delicious recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Bisibele Bhath Recipe
- 1 cup=250 ml
- 1 cup Short Grain Rice
- 3/4 cup Pigeon Pea / Tuvar / Arhar ki daal
- 3 tbsp Peanuts / Moongphali
- 1 Carrot / Gajar chopped
- 3/4 cup French beans chopped
- 3 medium Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1/2 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 1 cup Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch chopped
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Jaggary / Gud *
- 4 tbsp Thick tamarind pulp/ Imli ka ras
- 4 tbsp Bisibele bhath powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1.5 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 4 tbsp Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 15 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 6 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- Wash rice and daal separately
- Soak rice and the chopped vegetables with 2 cups of water in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes and then add the chopped vegetables withclose the lid and pressure cook on medium heat for 2 whistles
- when pressure cool down then remove the cooked rice from the cooker and add th soaked daal and
- Now add the soaked daal, peanuts,chopped tomatoes,1 tsp oil and 2.5 cup water and pressure cook on medium heat for 4-5 whistles or till daal become soft and mushy.
- Take a big wide deep pan and add 2 tbsp oil in it and when become hot then add the chopped capsicum and sate for 2 minutes on medium heat and then add green peas(frozen or boiled) few curry leaves and then add the cooked daal and rice .
- Mix bisibele bhath masala with a cup of water and stir well.
- Now add this bisbele bhath mixed water,tamarind pulp,jaggary,turmeric ,salt ,chili powder,green chilies and 3-4 cups hot water to adjust the consistency. mix well with a ladle.
- Simmer on low heat for about 25 -30 minutes till every thing mix well.
- Heat ghee and 2 tbsp oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds, cashew nuts, dried red chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- When mustard start crackling and cashew become golden then switch off the flame and pour the tempering in the bisibele bhath mixture.
- Switch off the heat and add chopped fresh coriander and cover the pan with a lid and let the flavours infuse for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot Bisibele bhath with a tsp of ghee on top with some khara boondi ,yogurt and fried papads.