Urad Daal With Fresh Methi/ Methi Wali Urad Daal- Delicious white lentil cooked with flavorful fresh Fenugreek
Urad daal is a favorite daal in North India specially In Punjab it is cooked 2-3 times in a week. Usally urad dal is cookd with tomato and basic spices and served with roti or parathas. Urad daal is very nutritious but slight heavy to digest. A good amount of ginger , cloves and hing .
Making Urad daal is quite easy but you have to be careful about the cooking time. If it is over cooked then it may turn mushy and quite slimy , it is preferred slight khili khili/each grain cooked but remains separate. In few states of Gujarat they even prefer it soft and mushy.
Addition of fresh fenugreek levaes gives a nice taste and aroma to this urad daal. You can adjust the quantity as per your taste. Lemon juice gives a nice tangy so do add it.
You can enjoy this Methi wali Urad daal with tandoori roti, paratha or Naan with some curd and pickle on side. Add a tsp of Pure Ghee on top of daal before serving.
You can also check these delicious recipes-
- Gajar Gobhi Shalgum Ka Achar
- Amla and Dhaniya Chutney
- Date and Almond Milk
- Gobhi Ka Paratha
- Golpapdi/ Sukhdi
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Urad Daal With Fresh Methi/ Methi Wali Urad Daal-
- 1 cup white lentil/Dhuli Urad Ki daal
- 2 medium Tomato / Tamatar chopped
- 2 cup Fresh Fenugreek / Hari Methi
- 2 Green chilies
- 1 tbsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- to Taste Salt / Namak
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 4 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 1 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 5 Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- Wash and soak Urad daal for 10 minutes.
- Prick the leaves of fresh fenugreek and wash them well
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker and when it become hot add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Now add Peppercorn and bayleaf and then add the pureed or chopped tomatoes ,
- Add salt and cover with a lid and let them become soft and mushy.
- when tomatoes become soft then add the chopped fenugreek leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric and saute to mix.
- When oil start separating from the masala then drain the water from the soaked dal and add in the cooker.
- Add around 2 cups of water (you can add less or more as per the consistency you want to have )and pressure cook for 2 whistles on high heat.
- When pressure cool down then open the cooker and add the lemon juice ,Garam masala and chopped coriander.
- Mix and serve with roti, naan or paratha.