Shakarkandi ka halwa- A delicious healthy dessert made with sweet potato/ a perfect recipe for fasting
shakarkandi ka halwa is a delicious yet not so popular halwa recipe. it is made very easily with minimum ingredients. Sweet potato is very healthy and rich in fiber . You can easily make this halwa with minimum ingredients.
This sweet potato halwa can be consumed for any religious fast/ celebration/ pooja etc , it is delicious as well as nutritious and even the kids loves its taste. You can easily store the leftover in the refrigerator for 4-5 days .
Sweet potato or shakarkandi is a versatile root. It can be used to make curry, stir fries and a delicious chaat can also be made with this easily. Gulabjamun, malpua are also made with shakakandi for pooja and fasting days.
There are 2 methods of making halwa shakarkandi halwa. You can either peel the raw shakarkandi and gate it and then roast it in ghee. I first boil and peel the shakarkand and then mash it roughly . Then the mashed sweet potato is roasted well in ghee to a nice golden colour. You can use vegetable oil to make it vegan but ghee is a better option to enhance the taste. But the choice is yours to use ghee or oil.
you can also try these fast Recipes-
- Kuttu Ka Dahivada
- Vrat ka sabudana Uttapam
- Rajgiri aloo Cheela
- Vrat ka Meduvada
- Paneer ki kheer
- Kuttu aloo Pakodi
check this sweet potato halwa video from my youtube channel- Maayeka
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Shakarkandi Ka Halwa / Sweet Potato Halwa
- 2 big Sweet potato /shakarkandi
- 1/3 cup Sugar / Chini
- 1/4 cup Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi powder
- 8 Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 3/4 cup milk
- few threads saffron optional
- Wash the sweet potatoes and chop into 2 pieces, add in a pressure cooker with 1.5 glass water and pressure cook for 4 whistles (or till they become soft )
- When cool down then peel and chop into big chunks
- Roughly mash them with a potato masher, soak saffron in warm milk
- Take a heavy bottom pan and add ghee, when ghee become medium hot then add the mashed sweet potato and roast on medium heat.
- Keep stirring till it become golden and start giving a nice aroma.
- It tend to stick in the pan so keep stirring and scraping the sides of the pan.
- After some time it start releasing some ghee from the sides, which indicates that it is roasted well now.
- Now add sugar and the milk and now reduce the heat and keep stiiring on low flame.
- keep cooking it till the milk get absorbed .You may add few tbsp of more ghee at this stage if it feels dry.
- Add chopped nuts and stir till ghee again start releasing from the sides.
- Now the sweet potato halwa is ready, add cardamom powder and mix.
- Switch off the heat and enjoy the healthy halwa