Turai aur Kala Chana Sabji/ Nenua Chana sabji- Sponge gourd cooked with black gram/ its a very healthy and delicious summer special curry- specialty from Uttar Pradesh
Nenua chana is a mildly spiced delicious yet a slight different combination , very popular in eastern U.P. It is usually served with roti and paratha abut taste easily delicious with rice .
Nenua /Turai is a summer special vegetable of gourd family. It is very healthy and quick and easy to cook. It cook almost like bottl;e gourd but in much lesser time. It is very high in water content thus reduce in volume when cooked. For best result cook turai with fresh herbs and less spices.
Usually Turai is cooked with tomatoes but this combination of turai and kala chana is a specialty of Eastern U.P . You have to try it once and you will surely love this. The soft texture of turai and the bite and crunch of kala chana is an amazing combination. Do try this Turai and kala chana sabji this season.
When you buy turai try to choose small and heavy turai as bigger and light inweight turai/ Nenua are mostly overripe and fiberous thus not taste good.
You can also try these recipes-
- Lauki Moong Daal Ki Sabzi
- Tinda Tamatar ki sabzi
- Stuffed karela with raw mango
- Parwal Aloo -Bengali style
- Achari Bhindi ki Sabzi
you can check this recipe video of my youtube channel and subscribe for new videos regularly
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Turai Kala Chana sabji/ Nenua Chana Sabji/ Sponge Gourd and chick pea curry
- 1 kg Sponge gourd / Turai /Gilki
- 1/3 cup Black Chickpeas / Kala Chana
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini optional
- 1.5 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 2 Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- Wash, peel and chop the turai in cubes.
- Overnight soak the kala chana in enough water.(or soak for 6 hours )
- Drain the water , wash the chana with fresh water and boil in the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water for 3 whistles on medium heat.
- Heat ghee or oil in the pressure cooker add cumin, hing, Chopped green chili, curry patta, tomato and saute for a minute.
- Now add chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder and mix
- Add turai, salt and the boiled kala chana in the cooker and mix.
- Now add 2 cups of water and close the lid. pressure cook on 3 whistle on medium heat or cook till chana become soft.(you can use the water in which the chana is boiled)
- let the cooker cool down completely.
- The quantity of water can be adjusted as how thick or thin you want the curry.
- The curry is almost done now,add chopped ginger. you can slightly mash the turai with the laddle at this stage
- Add 1/2 tsp sugar ,lemon juice and the chopped fresh coriander and mix.
- Switch off the heat, the curry is ready now.
- Serve with a tsp of ghee on top.
- Enjoy Turai chana curry with hot phulka or parathas !