Aloo Bhaji- This is a simple and easy Mahasrastrian style potato bhaji .
This Aloo Bhaji is usually served with poori but can be enjoyed with paratha or rotis as well. It is a vegan curry and needed just few ingredients to make it. This aloo bhaji is also served with daal, chawal , thepla etc in a Maharashtraian thali meal.
This batata bhaji is very popular and made on regular basis in Mumbai and Maharashtra. You can also stuff this leftover aloo bhaji in sandwiches or use as a dosa filling or wraps..
for making this aloo sabji or batata bhaji you have to boil potatoes. You can boil potatoes a day before and keep refrigerated and quickle make bhaji the next day. Cooled potatoes gives best results as the potato don’t break while stir frying.
Then heat oil in a pan, I have use peanut oil for making this bhaji but you can use any oil which you use regularly for your cooking. Green chili, ginger ,curry leaves and lemon are used to add spice and flavor. Salt and turmeric are the only dry spices used in this bhaji. For tempering cumin, mustard , asafoetida and urad daal is used which gives a very nice flavor to this aloo bhaji.
You can also try these delicious recipes-
you can check my youtube video for reference and subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka for new recipes regularly
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Aloo Bhaji / Maharastrain Batata Bhaji / Aloo Ki Sabji
- 4 big Potatoes / Aloo
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 5 tbsp Cooking oil * can use any oil
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- pinch Sugar / Chini optional
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 10 leaves Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch
- 1 tbsp Ginger / Adrak
- 2 dried whole red chilies
- 1/4 tsp White lentil/urad daal optional
- Boil potatoes till done and let them cool down slightly.
- Peel the potatoes and chop into medium size cubes.(Don't make very small pieces of potato else they get mashed while roasting)
- Chop green chilies and ginger into small pieces( quantity of green chilies can be adjusted as per your preference )
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. when it become medium hot add mustard and cumin seeds and let them crackle.(you can also add 1/4 tsp whilte lentil/ urad daal )
- Now add asafoetida and chopped green chili, ginger and curry leaves and give a nice stir for few seconds.
- Now add turmeric in the pan and stir to mix.
- Add the chopped potatoes and mix in the tempering and stir well.
- let it roast for 2-3 minutes on medium heat , spread the potatoes in the pan so they get a nice golden colour.
- Now add salt to taste and mix and again let them roast for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Now the potatoes are roasted well . Add a pinch of sugar in the potatoes but its optional.
- Add lemon juice and chopped coriander and mix well.
- Switch off the flame , potato bhaji/ Batata bhaji is ready to serve now.
- Enjoy this delicious aloo bhaji with poori, paratha ,or serve with dosa or use as a sandwich filling !