Vrat ki Arbi- Colocasia/ Taro Root stir fried with few spices- perfect for fasting
Vrat ki Arbi is the most popular and very easy and quick to make stir fry. This Simple yet delicious arbi ki sabji is prefect for any religious fast/ celebration and pooja etc.
Arbi and many other tuber like potato, yam, sweet potatoes are used in all the religious fast and pooja as considered sattvic food . Arbi is slight slimy and to make it delicious and perfect the first thing is too cook or boil it perfectly as over cooking can make it mushy and slimy. It is better if you boil it and cool it before stir frying. I usually boil it a day before I want to fry it. Boiled arbi stays well in the refrigerator for 3-4 days if you don’t peel it.
This vrat ki arbi ki sabji is very simple and made with just few spices which are permitted in fasting. I have used few green chilies but if you don’t use them then skip using them. This vrat ki arbi ki sabji taste equally delicious with normal wheat flour paratha and poori’s on normal days without fasting, do try this simple vrat wali arbi ki sabji and give me your feedback !
You can also try these recipes-
you can check my youtube video for reference and like and subscribe to my channel- Maayeka if you like the recipe
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates.
Vrat Ki Arbi Ki Sabji
- pressure cooker/pan
- 350 gm Taro roots / Arbi / Colocasia
- 4 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee *
- to taste Sendha Namak /Rock Salt
- 3/4 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- 3/4 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya optional
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch optional
- wash the arbi and cook till almost done , don't over cook it else it get mashed while stir frying.you can either pressure cook or boil in a pan
- Peel the arbi and let it cool down completely , I prefer to boil it and keep refrigerator for few hours when ever possible.
- Wash and make slices of green chilies (optional)
- Now chop it into medium thick roundels or slices what ever shape you prefer.
- Take a heavy bottom pan and add ghee or peanut oil as per your preference, I used peanut oil as only peanut oil is used in fasting.
- Now add cumin and carom seeds and let them crackle on medium heat.
- When they turn golden then add the asafoetida (if you don't use asafoetida during fasting then skip it )
- Add the slices of taro root and green chilies in the pan and mix gently.
- Now stir fry on medium heat for a minute and then spread them in a single layer and simmer for 2-3 minutes so they get roasted well and get a nice brown color.
- keep changing the sides in between.
- Cover with a lid if needed to cook well.
- When they are roasted perfectly then add salt to taste, crushed pepper powder and mango powder and mix well
- If you don't want to add mango powder then add some lemon juice.
- Now cover with a lid and simmer for a minute so the spices get roasted well.
- Switch off the flame and add chopped fresh coriander and mix well.
- Your vrat ki arbi ki sabji is ready to serve with poori or parathas, you can also serve this as a appetizer.