Cabbage Thepla- a delicious healthy flatbread made with grated cabbage ,spices and flour.
Cabbage thepla is a very healthy and delicious thepla recipes. During winter we normally prefer making stuffed or vegetable parathas . These parathas can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner any time of the day. Making stuffed paratha’s need some time to make but these vegetable thepla are quick and easier .
We can make thepla with so many leafy vegetable and other vegetables. I personally like methi thepla ,mooli thepla and these cabbage thepla’s. They taste great with tea, pickle ,curd or any tangy curry of your choice. These thepla’s can also be packed in lunch boxes as they remain soft and fresh for the whole day.
How To Make Cabbage Thepla-
For making cabbage thepla choose fresh and firm cabbage . Then either finely grate cabbage with a vegetable grater or make medium size pieces and chop in the vegetable chopper. Then add 1/2 tsp salt in the grated cabbage ,cover with a a lid and keep aside for 1/2 hour . The cabbage will release the extra moisture by applying salt. Then squeeze cabbage to remove the extra moisture, collect the water released by cabbage in a bowl, we will use it to knead the dough.
By following this step you can add more grated cabbage in the flour as it shrink in volume by squeezing and the dough will not become sticky and hard to roll. You can skip this step but then the dough may soon become more softer and difficult to roll because then the cabbage will release its extra moisture in the dough.
After making dough make small balls from the dough and roll into medium size thin parathas. First dry roast from both the sides on medium hot tawa and then apply oil or ghee and roast from both the sides till golden spots appears on the thepla. Serve hot with chutney ,pickle ,chai or any curry of your choice.
You may also like these delicious recipes-
- Milk Masala Powder
- Beetroot Raita
- Paneer Bhurji
- Masala Hari Mirch
- Gajar Gobhi Shalgum ka Achar
- Punjabi kala Chana Masala
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Cabbage Thepla ,Cabbage Paratha
- Tawa, Pan, Rolling Pin
- 4 cup Cabbage / Patta Gobhi grated
- 1/2 cup Gram flour / Besan optional
- 2.5 cup Whole Wheat Flour / Atta
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1 tbsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch finely chopped
- 1/3 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 tsp Sugar / Chini optional
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 tbsp Yogurt / Dahi
- 5 tbsp ghee or oil For roasting the paratha
- Grate the cabbage with a vegetable grater or use a vegetable chopper.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt in the cabbage ,cover and keep aside for 1/2 hour so it will release its extra moisture.
- Now gently squeeze out the cabbage and collect the water in a bowl.(Will use this water to make the dough)
- In a big deep bowl add the cabbage ,flour and all the ingredients . mix every thing well.
- Now add some squeezed water in the flour mix and make a medium stiff dough.
- Cover the dough and rest for 5 minutes.
- Make equal sized balls from the dough and keep aside.
- Dust with dry flour and Roll the dough balls to make medium size parathas. The thickness of thepla'S depend on your choice though traditionally thepla's is rolled thinly.
- Place the rolled thepla/ paratha on a medium hot griddle and dry roast from both the sides first.
- Then apply some oil or ghee on both sides and roast till golden brown spots appears on the surface .
- Remove when done and serve hot with tea, pickle ,chutney or any tangy curry of your choice.