Til Ki Chutney Powder- A very delicious and healthy roasted sesame seed powder to add in any dish
Til Ki Chutney/ Ellu Podi is a very healthy powder mix recipe which is very easy to make. You can add or sprinkle this powder on any food item or use as a dry chutney with idli, dosa, roti, paratha or rice. It can elevate the taste of any dish.
This chutney needs very basic ingredients available at home and can be made very quickly , you can easily store it for months .
The spice level of this podi can be adjusted as per your preference, you can add less or more red chilies.
If whole red chilies are not available then after cooling the mix you can add red chili powder while grinding.
How To Make Til Ki chutney-
First of all dry roast sesame seeds till they start to crackle.
Now roast some cumin seeds , red chilies and when they get nice color then add few curry leaves and asafoetida.
let them cool down completely then add salt and little jaggery , tamarind and grind coarsely.
store in an air tight jar at room temperature and enjoy
How to use Til Ki Chutney
You can eat it as a dry chutney/ podi with idli, dosa ,paratha, roti or with snacks like dhokla , pakora etc. or mix it with some melted ghee and use it as a chutney with rice or roti.
You can add it in your steamed ghee rice , Sprinkle over khichdi , upma, poha, mix with plain yogurt, sprinkle over your butter toast, spread over your ghee roti or wraps .
Can stuff in your paratha while rolling and make a masala paratha. add in your dry curries to enhance the flavor. this Delicious flavorful dry sesame seed powder can be used in numerous ways.
for making this til ki chutney Instead of white sesame seeds you can use black ones or mix of white and black sesame seeds to make it more healthier.
TIL KI CHUTNEY/ Sesame seed powder / Ellu Podi
- 1 cup White sesame seeds /til
- 8 Whole Kashmiri red chilies
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- handful Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1.5 tsp jaggery/ gur
- 1.5 tsp Tamarind / Imli
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and add the sesame seeds and roast on medium heat, keep stirring them.they keep popping and spluttering so cover with a plate or splatter guard
- When they start smelling toasted and slightly change the color then remove from the pan and keep aside to cool down
- In the same pan add 1 tsp oil and add the red chilies , break them into big pieces before roasting
- Roast for 2 minutes or till they slight change their color and look crisp.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Now in the same add cumin and curry leaves and dry roast till fragrant. switch off the heat and then add asafoetida in the pan and stir for a minute.
- Now let everything come to room temperature.
- Add all the ingredient ,salt , grated jaggery and dry tamarind in the mixer jar and grind coarsely.
- Store in a dry glass jar and enjoy.