Pahadi Aloo ke Gutke- a traditional delicious potato fry tempered in jakhiya seeds
Pahadi Aloo ke gutke is a simple yet very flavorful potato roast recipe from the hilly region of India specially made in Kumaon, Garhwal and Uttarakhand region. This Jakhiya aloo can be served as snack or side dish with main course.
These aloo ke gutuk goes well with daal chawal, or roti daal etc. It is also served with poori and raita and a good recipe to pack in lunchboxes with parathas.
This dish is a traditional pahadi dish which needs only few spices to make. It is made with boiled potato , mustard oil and few basic spices and the main ingredients is Jakhiya for tempering. Due to its unique taste and simplicity in making it is so popular every where. This is a vegetarian, vegan and gluten free dish.
For tempering jakhiya is used but some people also add little mustard seeds with jakhiya but if jakhiya is not available then you can use cumin and mustard seeds. The authentic crunchy nutty flavor can only be get with jakhiya seeds . Traditionally mustard oil is used for making aloo ke gutuk but depends on availability you can use any cooking oil you have.
Red chili or green chilies are used in it, you can use both or any one you prefer. I have used crushed green chili and ginger paste. Lemon juice or mango powder can be used to add tanginess but its totally optional.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Pahadi Aloo ke Gutke- Jakhiya Aloo
- 400 gm Baby Potatoes / Chhote Aloo
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1.5 tbsp Jakhiya seeds
- 1.5 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 2 whole dry red chili
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak optional
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1.5 tsp White sesame seeds /til optional
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- Wash and boil the potatoes till almost done. peel and keep aside.
- I have used baby potatoes so using them whole but if you are using big potatoes then chop into medium size cubes.
- Roughly crush green chilies and ginger and keep aside.
- Heat mustard oil in a iron kadhai preferably or use a heavy bottom pan available.
- Now add cumin and jakhiya seeds in hot oil.
- Now add whole dry red chili, sesame seeds, pounded green chili and ginger and sauté for few seconds
- Add turmeric powder and then add the potatoes in the pan, stir to mix.
- Now add salt and coriander powder and red chili powder if using and stir fry to mix well
- Reduce the heat and cover the pan with a lid and let the potatoes roast on the lowest heat till they are fully cooked and get few golden spots on them.
- Turn off the heat and add fresh coriander and lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot as a starter or side dish with your meal.
- you can use dry spices like red chili powder and mango powder or use fresh herbs like green chili , ginger and lemon juice.
- Addition of sesame is optional it vary in each and every region and household .
- You can easily order Jakhiya online if not available in your area or city.