Palak Corn Pulao- A very healthy delicious and easy to make spinach and corn Rice
Palak corn rice or pulao is Indian style healthy pulao made with rice, fresh spinach, corn, fresh herbs and few basic Indian spices. This dish is super easy to make and Iron rich healthy recipe. It is like a one pot complete meal need just a simple raita or dahi to serve with.
Addition of fresh spinach puree gave a nice color to the rice and corn kernels gave a nice crunch and color contrast to the pulao. I have used tinned corns which are already blanched but if you want to use fresh corns then do boil them before adding in the rice. You can add some fresh fenugreek leaves with the spinach puree to make it more flavorful.
You can use basmati or any short grain rice to make this pulao , I have used basmati rice for making it. You can also add some green vegetables like beans, peas or capsicum to make it more healthier. It is a very good healthy and filling recipe to pack in lunch boxes. To enhance the flavor I added fresh coriander with spinach but fresh mint or Fenugreek leaves can also be used for variation.
you can also try these recipes-
Check my video recipe for reference-
Palak Corn Pulao
- 1.25 Cup Rice/chawal
- 2 bunch Spinach /palak
- 1.25 cup Corn Kernels / Makai Dana
- 1 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 3 Green chilies/Hari Mirch
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder /Laal Mirch Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 5 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 2 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 2 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 3 whole dry red chili
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes.
- Wash all the vegetables and then grind together spinach, coriander ,tomato and green chilies to make a fine paste
- Pressure cook the corn kernels if using fresh one, if you are using canned then no need to boil.
- Heat ghee or oil in a heavy bottom wide pan.
- Now add cumin seeds and when they start to crackle add bay leaves, cloves , cardamom and dry red chilies (you can skip adding whole garam masala if you don't like the flavors)
- Now add the corn kernals and saute for a minute.
- Add the spinach puree and sauté for a minute.
- Now add the dry spices in it and stir for a minute.
- Drain all the water from the soaked rice and then add the rice in the pan.
- Gently mix the rice with the spinach puree.
- Now add 2.5 cup of hot water in the pan and the lemon juice and mix.
- At this stage you can taste the water and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Now give it a boil on medium high heat.
- When it start boiling , stir it once and then cover with a lid and cook on low heat.
- Cook till done , switch off the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Now open and serve hot with any raita, dip, salad or yogurt
- Enjoy your delicious palak corn rice !
- you can use any variety of rice for making this pulao, the quantity of water depends on the rice used.
- Instead of fresh coriander you can add mint or fenugreek for flavor
- Instead of corn you can use green peas
- can also add some cashew and raisins.