Kaju Karela Sabji- Delicious bitter gourd slices stir fried with cashew raisins and few basic spices
Kaju karela is a Gujarati specialty with a sweet and tangy taste. It is a special recipe mostly made during summer and on occasions and weddings during season. During season it is also a must have recipe on Gujrati restaurant thalis. Addition of ghee roasted cashews ,sesame and raisins and touch of jaggery made this stir fry so special .
It taste bitter, sweet and tangy in taste. The taste of sesame, jaggery, cashew and raisins made it so delicious and different then other bitter gourd recipes. For sourness tamarind pulp, lemon juice or mango powder can be added in this stir fry.
Addition of potatoes is optional , you can either add both karela and potato or use only karela. Try to choose tender small karela’s which have tender seeds but if seeds are hard and ripe then scoop out those seeds.
This sweet , spicy and tangy kaju karela shaak is usually served with poori, daal -chawal, phulka ,aam ras or any thing you want to enjoy with.
you can also check these recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Kaju karela Sabji
- pressure pan
- 250 gm Bitter Gourd / Karela
- 2 medium Potatoes / Aloo optional
- 1/2 cup Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 2 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish
- 5 Green chilies/Hari Mirch
- Salt / Namak
- 1.5 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/3 Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 2 tbsp Thick tamarind pulp or lemon juice
- 2.5 tbsp Sugar or jaggery
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 2 tbsp White sesame seeds /til
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- Wash and lightly peel the karela skin.
- Cut into thin strips and then add salt in the pieces and keep covered for 10-15 minute.
- Till now karelas will release its bitter juices , drain the juice and wash them thrice and squeeze the water completely.
- Peel potatoes and cut into slices similar to karela slices.(Addition of potatoes is optional, you can make it with only karelas)
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp gram flour, pinch salt and 1/2 tsp chili powder on the karela slices and mix well.
- Heat enough oil in a pan and deep fry the karela slices in it and fry the karela slices till light golden in color then drain and keep aside.
- Now add potato slices and fry till golden in color and then drain and keep aside.Now add few slit green chilies and fry for a minute, drain and keep aside.
- Add the Cashew slices and fry on medium heat till done. drain out and keep aside.
- Now remove the extra oil from the pan and keep just 3 tbsp oil in it.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida. when cumin start crackling then add the sesame seeds and raisins in it and saute for few seconds.
- When sesame seeds start crackling then add the fried potatoes, karela and green chilies, fried cashews ,fried raisins in the pan and then switch off the heat for a minute.
- Add turmeric, salt, coriander powder, chili powder in the fried vegetables and mix well.
- Now add grated jaggery and tamarind pulp or lemon juice and mix.
- Switch on the heat and cook for 2-3 minute on medium heat.
- kaju karela sabji is ready now so switch off the heat.
- Enjoy kaju karela shaak with poori , Aloo shaak and aamras.