Khatta Meetha Karela ,Sweet and sour Bitter Gourd
Tangy Bittergourd in gravy
Servings: 4 people
- 350 gm Bitter Gourd / Karela
- 2.5 tbsp Jaggary / Gud *
- 2.5 tbsp Tamarind / Imli pulp
- 1 tbsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- Wash and cube bitter gourd into small pieces.(you can peel the bitter gourd if you wish,but personally I don’t like to peel the bitter gourd)
- Apply 1 t.s salt into the pieces and keep covered for at least one hour.then wash well with enough water to remove the bitterness.squeeze extra water from the pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan add fennel seeds,when they start crackling add turmeric and bitter gourd pieces and fry for a minute.
- Add salt,mix and cover with a lid and cook on slow flame till done.keep stirring in between.
- When done or cooked perfectly ,add chili powder, jaggery,tamarind pulp and 4 tbs of water ,mix well
- Cover and cook for 5 more minutes on slow heat till oil start separating from the masala and gravy become little thick(it should not be too watery)Note-You can also add some cubed potato into this curry.
- erving suggestions-serve with bread ,roti,or daal chawal.
Note-You can also add some cubed potato into this curry.