Sama ki Idli -Steamed cakes made with Barnyarn millet/Varai-Vrat ka khana
Sama ki Idli- samu/Varai/samak/barnyarn millet and sabudana, kuttu atta, singhora atta,rajgiri atta are mainly used as a fasting food.They are specially consumed during Navratri, shivratri,ekadashi and on other fasting days.
There are many recipes made by using these millets and seeds. Potato, arbi/colocosia, yam are mainly used vegetables during fasting.
In my community we fast on Ekadashi and Rishi punchmi(tomorrow)and only eat dishes made with sama and sabudana.
The recipes made during fasting /Vrat ka khana ,are often deep fried or shallow fried so we consume a lot of ghee or oil.These steamed sama ke chawal ki Idli are very good as they are easy to digest and taste good,serve these sama ke chawal ki Idlis with healthy and delicious-fruit and nut chutney and Coconut Chutney
I have also posted few fasting /vrat recipes in my blog-
Sama ki Idli for Fasting
- 1 cup Sama/ Varai/ Moraiya
- 3 tbsp Tapioca Pearls / Sago / Sabudana
- 1/2 cup Sour Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Lemon juice
- To Taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Fruit salt
- 1 tsp Ginger/ Adrak chopped
For Tempering/ Tadka
- 3/4 tsp Cumin/ Jeera
- 1.5 tsp Green Chili/ Hari Mirch
- 2 tbsp Cashew / kaju chopped
- Wash and soak samak and sabudana in enough water for 4 hours.Now drain all the water and grind both with yogurt and make a coarse paste.
- Take out the paste in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add cashews and fry on low flame to a light golden colour.
- Add the fried cashews in sama mixture.
- Now add cumin and chilies in the same pan and fry till cumin become golden in colour.
- Add this tempering into the mixture.
- Add ginger,lemon juice and salt in the batter and stir well.
- Boil enough water in the idli steamer and grease the idli mould with oil.When water start boiling,mix fruit salt in the sama batter and immediately pour the idli batter in the moulds.
- Cover the steamer and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Now switch off the flame and remove the plates from the steamer after 5-8 minutes.
- Now with a greased spoon scoop out the idlis.
- Serve with coconut chutney, green chutney or fruit and nut chutney.
@Roopam you can avoid using fruit salt still you get soft idlis
looks yummy.. tempting…
roopam agarwal says
Very nice and new recipe mam,Thanx a lot,but one question arised in my mind that how can weuse fruit salt on fast day…
Quite a new idea!!! Having swak rice in stock, will definitely try making this one 🙂
Read the latest post @ cooking with SJ – http://cookingwithsj.com/2013/09/09/bourani-kachaloo/
Sapana Behl says
Veena Theagarajan says
looks yummy.. tempting…
Sanoli Ghosh says
idlis with sama, is very new to me. Heathy and interesting idlis.
Bhawna Bagri says
Very yummy and innovative ….
Rumana Ambrin says
very soft looking idlis..