Green Moong Daal Khichdi- Quick and easy one pot meal of rice and lentil from North India
Green Moong Daal Khichdi or Khichuri is very healthy,quick and easy Indian comfort food made with the combination of rice and daal, almost any dal can be used to make khichdi. The ratio of using daal and rice and the consistency of thickness depends upon individual choice and preference.
There are many who don’t like khichdi and there are some who loved it.I try to make khichdi once in a week as it is light on stomach so very easy to digest.
Some khichdi’s are made spicy and flavorful like this -Yellow moong daal khichdi. But some times when you are sick or want to have something very light and filling then this green moong daal khichdi is the perfect choice.With few ingredients you can make this mildly spiced,easy,healthy and filling one pot meal .This is also very good for kids.
This North Indian Style khichdi can be enjoyed alone or serve with khichdi ke chaar yaar -4 accompaniment to serve with khichdi -papad,dahi,pickle and some chutney to perk it up.A spoonful of ghee drizzled on top enhance the taste and avoid using oil as it didn’t taste good in khichdi.
Looking for more khichdi recipes then Do Try these recipe-
- Yellow Moong Daal khichdi
- Tuvar Daal Khichdi
- Vegetable Daliya Khichdi
- Gujarati Vaghareli Khichdi
- Sama/ moraiya Ki Khichdi
You can check this video for reference and subscribe to my youtube channel – Maayeka for new recipes every week
Green Moong Daal Khichdi
- 1 cup Green Moong daal/yellow lentil with husk
- 1 cup Rice/chawal
- 2 tbsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1/3 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee *
- Salt / Namak to taste
- Wash daal and rice with water.
- Soak them together in enough water for 15 minutes.
- Pressure cook the soaked rice and daal (along with the water in which it is soaked)with 5 cups of water on medium flame for 3-4 whistles or cook till it become soft and mushy.
- Slightly mix and mash the cooked khichdi with a ladle.
- Add hot water (about 3 cups) to adjust the consistency of khichdi, some like it watery and some prefer semi thick so add water according to your choice.
- Add chopped ginger, ghee and all the spices and mix well.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, partially cover the pan with a lid otherwise it may splutter all over.
- Keep stirring in between to avoid sticking it at the bottom of the pan.
- Switch off the gas and add fresh coriander and mix.
- Serve hot with a tsp of ghee drizzled on it.
1-Don't make it thick as it taste best when it is of soft porridge consistency.
2- It tend to thicken soon so add some hot water,mix and give it a boil before using the leftover.
3- The cooking time also depend on the quality of lentil,rice and water so cook till rice and daal become soft and mushy.
4- You don't need to use basmati rice to make khichdi, can use any ordinary rice or broken rice(tukda) to make khichdi,but avoid using thick rice.
5- Can also add some chopped vegetables and green into it .
6- Addition of turmeric and tempering of cumin and asafoetida is optional.