Kulfa ki kadhi- A healthy and delicious curry made with purslane leaves,bengal gram and yogurt.
Kulfa in Hindi ,Purslane in English, Khorfeh in persian/luni bhaji/lunak/Pachiri /koluppa is a succulent weed plant with thick round leaves .It is cooling in nature so good to have in summer.It can be used in salads,stir fries, can add in any lentil preparations. It can be used it as a spinach substitute in almost every preparation.it is easy to clean as don’t have much dirt as compared to other green leaves .
kulfa have a good shelf life if refrigerated. You need not to discard the stems of kulfa like spinach stems, chop both the leaves and the tender stems and use in your cooking. These leaves are slightly lemony in taste.It grows easily everywhere, don’t need much care and maintenance.
Pursulane is a very good source of omega -3 ,Vitamin A,Vitamin C ,vitamin E, B complex, Magnesium and potassium,Beta carotene etc .It is also used as a medicinal plant.It have antibacterial,anti inflammatory and have mild diuretic properties. Poultice of kulfa paste can also be applied on burns and wounds.
My grand mother use to make this kulfa ki kadi which my mother leaned from her and become a favorite at my Mothers home.Now I learned from her and started making and my family loves this kulfa ki kadhi. Usually I make this kadhi with kulfa,potato and chana daal but I have few corn kernels lying in my refrigerator so added them too.
You can also add few fried moong daal mangodi in it for a change in taste occasionally.It can be served with jeera rice,boiled rice or chapatis.I usually make a combo of moong daal lachka , kulfa kadhi and rice.
I have also posted the recipes of these delicious Kadhi’s-
- Boondi ki kadhi ,
- Miloni ki kadhi,
- Aloo Matar Mangodi ki kadhi,
- Gujarati Bhindi Ki Kadhi ,
- Sindhi Kadhi ,
- Bhatia kadhi
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates.
Kulfa Ki Kadi
- 2 bunch Kulfa /Purslane
- 1.5 tbsp Bengal gram /chana daal
- 1 Potatoes / Aloo medium size
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 5 tbsp Yogurt / Dahi
- 4 tbsp Gram flour / Besan
- Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- Red chili powder
- Black Salt / Kala Namak
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1 liter Water / Paani
- Wash tha kulfa leaves and then discard the hard stems if any and then chop them roughly ( just pluck the leaves and use with out chopping.)
- Soak chana daal in enough water for 1/2 hour .
- Peel and chop potatoes in medium size pieces.
- Add yougurt and gram flour in a bowl and whisk it well and keep aside.
- In a big pan add the soaked chana daal,chopped kulfa,potatoes,green chilies,ginger and the gram flour mixture.
- Mix it well and then add water, salt ,turmeric and stir.
- Cook on high flame till it start boiling.
- Then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 -25 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and fresh coriander and remove from the flame.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add cumin seeds and asafoetida,when cumin start crackling remove from the flame and add red chili powder and pour over the curry.
- Serve hot with rice,jeera rice or any Indian bread of your choice.
Are you sure the chana daal is only 1.5 Tablespoon? Purslane is available at Food Town, in Davie, Florida.
Anjana Chaturvedi says
yes it is added in little quantity , just to give some crunch
Nupur Mehra says
Hi Anjana ji,, how have you been? Long time.. 🙂
I have never heard of this plant Kulfa. before, whats the hindi name? and where is it found?
Anyway, this kadhi looks super delicious and I must add, so does your photos 🙂
See you around.
Hi Nupur,I am Good ,how are you
Kulfa is the hindi word for Pursalne leaves and is a seasonal weed ,easily availble in summer and monsoon season.
Thank you. In Gujarat my aunt used to make luni bhaji Muthia that were to die for. Best ever.
Do you know if purslane is available in USA?
Anjana Chaturvedi says
Yes they’re delicious. I doubt if Kulfa will be available in US – if the local Patel Bros store doesn’t have it, I doubt anyone else will.