Mogar daal/ Sookhi Moong Ki Daal/ Dhoi – A dry version of making yellow lentil
Mogar Daal/Moong daal is very healthy and easy to digest lentil .It is a regular in my kitchen and cooked often as compared to any other daal. Daal and kadi are regular in our Indian Kitchens and we have so many variety and methods of cooking these lentils.
Making this Mogar daal is quite easy and simple ,you just need to add enough water to cover the lentil,if you add more water then the daal will turn mushy .Few basic spices are added in this preparation and green chili ,ginger are not added .
Some adds red chili powder and lemon juice and some add just salt and turmeric. A generous amount of desi ghee is a must in this mogar daal to keep it moist 🙂
You can also make chat with the leftover daal, just take some mogar daal in a bowl and top it with some chopped tomato, green chili, ginger julienne and fresh coriander and finally squeeze some lemon juice and your healthy and tangy moong chat is ready to serve.
This mogar daal is quite popular in North India and in Gujarat and it is served with aamras and poori in Gujarat .But in my community this is popular as Dhoi and is served with steamed rice and either Boondi ki kadhi or the very delicious and popular katron ka jhor/ Miloni ki kadhi .This complete meal is made specially during birthdays,celebrations and considered as an auspicious meal.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Sookhi Moong Daal Recipe, Dry Yellow Lentil
- 1 cup Yellow Lentil / Moong Daal (dhuli huee)
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/3 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 3/4 cup Water / Paani approx
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- Wash the moong daal with enough water at least 2-3 times till the water runs clear.
- Soak with water for about 1/2 hour.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- When cumin start to crackle add asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Add the soaked lentil, chili powder and salt and saute for a minute.
- Add water and partially cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat till done.
- No need to stir the daal in between.The water dries up completely when the daal cooked completely.(you can sprinkle little water if needed)
- Add chopped coriander and fluff the cooked daal with a fork.
- Serve hot Moong daal with some hot melted ghee on top.