Sookha Kala Chana- Black chickpeas boiled and stir fried with few basic Indian spices
Sookha kala chana is specially made on Devi Ashtmi pooja/ Kanjak Pooja i.e the last day of Navaratri. It is a very easy recipe and is always made without the use of onion and garlic as it is offered as Naivedhya to Devi Maa along with poori and sooji halwa.
This sookha kala chana is made with dried black chick peas i.e desi kala chana, if kala chana is not available then you can also use kabuli chana and make with this same recipe. Normally this sookha kala chana is made almost dried for Devi ashtami but you can make it with some gravy if you wish too, I have also posted the recipe of Punjabi Kala chana masala and Punjabi Chole recipe if you want to try gravy version of chana masala.
Kala chana is a very healthy and nutritious legume.It is very low in fat,have very high fiber content so aids in weight loss and helps to lower cholesterol.Is also low in glycemic index. It is a great source of Iron and protein. It is quite filling ,you can have it for breakfast ,lunch and dinner.
Kala Chana is very healthy but quite heavy to digest so while cooking do add asafoetida and ginger which aids in digestion.You can eat kala chana cooked and raw,in both forms. If you are using raw then make sure to soak it for minimum 8 hours. Do try this easy and quick sookha kala chana recipe and enjoy with poori ,parantha or just have a bowl of kala chana as your evening snack or in your breakfast !
sookha kala chana, How to make sookha kalala chana
- 1.5 cup Black Chickpeas / Kala Chana
- 4 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 2 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Wash kala chana and soak overnight or for minimum 8 hours in enough water.
- Drain the water from the soaked chana and wash with fresh water.
- Now add the soaked chana in the pressure cooker and add salt and water (approx 1.5 inch above the chana level )
- Pressure cook till done,it may take 4-6 whistles depending on the quality of chana.
- Let the pressure cool down and then open the cooker.
- Add all the powdered spices in 1/4 cup water and mix well.(use the water in which you have boiled the chick peas)
- Heat ghee or oil in the pan and add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Add chopped green chilies and ginger and stir for few seconds.
- Add the spices mixed with water and stir fry for a minute or till it slightly thickens.
- Now add the boiled chana along with some water.(not more then 1 cup)
- Let it simmer on low heat till it absorb the moisture and become almost dry.
- Switch off the flame and add chopped coriander, few Ginger Juliennes and lemon juice.
- Serve with poori or paratha or as a snack.