Amla Pickle /Thokku- a healthy delicious and easy to make Indian Gooseberry chutney
Amla pickle /Instant Amla thokku is a specialty from Southern India. It is a very delicious and easy to follow recipe and need just few basic ingredients.
Amla is an amazing wonder fruit which is packed with so many nutrients thus gives numerous health benefits. Good quality amla is very easily available during winter and is reasonably priced . It is sour ,astringent and pungent in taste and green in colour ,choose amla which is fresh and shiny and without any bruise and brown spots on the skin
Amla is a power house of goodness, a great source of vitamin C, very good for skin and hairs. A very rich source of antioxidants and fibre, good for diabetic and heart patients and help in reducing body weight and many more health benefits, Amla is also very good for cold and cough ailments so it is a good idea to use amla daily in our diet.
In Indian cooking Amla is used usually to make murabba,chutney, pickles and candy,but we can also make squash and sharbat from amla. Today I am sharing a very easy and delicious Instant amla pickle recipe. You can make this pickle or chutney and easily store in your refrigerator for a long shelf life.
There are so many healthy delicious recipes to make with amla like –
- Amla ki launji ,
- Amla dhaniya ki chutney,
- Amla Mirch ki Achari Sabzi
- Chatpata Amla ka Achar
- Amla Candy
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Amla Pickle/ Amla thokku
- 1/2 KG Indian Gooseberry/ Amla 20 pieces
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds/methidana
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 cup Cooking oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seed/Rai
- 2.5 tbsp Kashmiri Chili powder
- 2 tbsp Salt
- Wash amla and then keep in a bowl, add 1 glass water in the pressure cooker ,keep the bowl inside the cooker and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Let it cool down then remove the seed from the amla and separate the segments
- Add the amla pieces in the mixer and grind to make a coarse or smooth paste.(depend on your preference)
- Dry roast methi dana in a pan and then switch off the flame and then add hing in the pan and stir for few seconds.
- Grind the roasted methi dana and hing to make a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and then add mustard seeds.
- When mustard start crackling add the ground methi dana and hing powder.
- Add the ground amla mixture in the pan and mix and stir for a minute.
- Now add the kashmiri chili powder and saute on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt and cook for 2-3 minutes till it start releasing some oil.
- Let it cool down completely and then store in a clean dry glass jar.
- Stays well for about 2 weeks at room temperature or for a long shelf life keep it refrigerated.
- Serving suggestion- goes well with roti or rice both
Making yet again! Please tell me what oil would you recommend?
Anjana Chaturvedi says
you can add sesame oil or peanut oil
Brilliant recipe. Made it the day you sent out the recipe. Theen made again with 1/2 kg amla after 2 days. This is by far the best recipe for amla. Thank you so much. Just when the doctor asked me to step up my Vit C intake!
Thank you Meera !glad you liked it 🙂