Saunth Ka Saag- a delicious digestive broth made with ginger and yogurt
Saunth ka saag- Dried ginger powder is called as saunth .It is often used to make tea, garam masala and can be used in curries instead of fresh ginger. Saunth ka saag is my community special recipe . It is made specially during winter and monsoon season. Saunth is very good and effective to have in cold and cough.
This saunth kaa saag is a also served as a digestive and give relief in upset stomach,cold and increase appetite. This saunth kaa saag is also an excellent post natal recipe and in my community it specially given to all the new mothers after delivery as it helps to digest the heavy food given after delivery.
This is a healthy and delicious recipe yet quite easy and quick to make. fresh and dried both types of ginger is used to make this saunth ka saag but you can also make this with either fresh or dried saunth if both are not available.
Ginger is very good for the treatment of upset stomach,nausea, aid digestion, helps in osteoarthritis stiffness, muscle and joint pains, headache, it prevents blood clotting, lower blood pressure, helps to reduce swelling, reduces motion sickness and morning sickness , can be applied on skin to prevent insect bites, helps to cure from cold and flu. But pregnant ladies and diabetic patient should take ginger in moderation.
D o try these healthy winter special recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Saunth ka Saag, Ginger Stew
- 3 tbsp Ginger/Adrak ground or finely grated
- 1 tbsp Dry ginger powder/ Saunth
- 1 cup Yogurt/Dahi
- 3 cup water
- 1 tsp Black salt/ kala namak
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Coriander powder/ dhaniya powdr
- 4 tbsp Fresh coriander/ Hara dhaniya chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice/ neebu ka ras
- 1.5 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 3/4 tsp Carom seeds/ Ajwain
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- Peel ginger and grind it or grate finely and keep aside.
- In a bowl add yogurt and water and blend well.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan and then add cumin and carom seeds
- When the seeds start crackling add the asafoetida and grated ginger.
- Saute on medium heat for few seconds and then add the dried ginger powder/saunth and stir.
- Now switch off the flame and add yogurt water mix and stir.
- Switch on the flame and cook ,keep stirring till it start boiling(else it may curdle)
- Now add salt,black salt and coriander powder.
- Boil for a minute while stirring it and then switch off the flame and add lemon juice and fresh coriander.
- Serve hot as an appetizer or as a side dish with your meal.