Vrat ka Dahi vada- A gluten free dahivada made with Barnyarn millet and mashed potatoes.
Dahi vada is a snack which we all love and relish every time. Usually dahivada is made with urad daal, moong daal and some times even with gramflour. During Navratri, Janmashtami , Ekasdashi and on different religious fasting days lentil, rice and grains are not allowed to consume. Only few millets , spices and veggies are allowed during such fasting days.
I usually consume and make different recipe with rajgiri flour, kuttu aata and singhoda flour. Few snacks , rice and khichdi are made with sabudana and samu too. Sabudana khichdi is the most popular fasting recipe and most people just loves it if made perfectly.
This samu / samak/ varai/ mordhan / Kodri / small millet and potato dahivada I learned from a Gujarati friends of mine and since then I am making it for all fasting days. Making vrat ka dahi vada is quite easy and it taste superb. You can garnish with date tamarind chutney or aam papad chutney and mint coriander chutney made for fasting.
How to Make Vrat ke dahivade
First of all wash and pressure cook samu either in a pressure cooker or in a pan, add sufficient water and pressure cook for 1 whistle or cook till it become soft. Now let it cool down and come to room temperature.mash it with a spoon to make it smooth and lump free ,this is important to make nice dahivadas
Boil ,peel and mash potatoes , the quantity of boiled samu rice and the mashed potatoes should be almost same. now mix together mashed samu rice, grated potatoes. You can also add some chopped ginger, green chilies ,few cashew and raisins in the mixture. Add some salt and 1 tsp cumin seeds and mix everything well.
Now greas your palms and make small balls from the mixture. Heat oil in a wide deep pan and gently slide few balls in hot oil. Dont crowd the pan add few at a time.
let them cook from one side and ehen the colour change from the bottom then gently turn the side so it get cooked from other side too. Dont turn often else it may break while turning. when it become nice golden from both the sides then remove from the pan.
Soak in slated water for 10 minutes only. gently squeeze and serve garnished with sweet yogurt, date chutney mint chutney.
For more recipes for Janmashtami fasting check this link-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Vrat Ka Dahivada
- 1 cup Sama Rice/ Barnyarn millet
- 5 medium Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 3 Green chilies/Hari Mirch chopped
- 1.5 inch Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 3 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish
- 12 Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 1 cup Sweet chutney
- 1/2 cup Green chutney
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 2 cup Yogurt
- 2 tsp Roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- 4 tbsp Pomegranate pearls /Anar ka dana optional
- Enough cooking oil to deep fry
- Wash samu / varai rice and add in a pressure cooker along with 3 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistles on medium heat OR cook in a pan till it become soft
- Spread the cooked rice in a plate and mash with the back of a spoon.
- Now add peeled and grated potatoes , chopped ginger ,chilies, cumin seeds,chopped cashews and raisin in the mashed samu rice and mix well.
- Grease your palms and make small round balls from the mixture.
- Heat oil in a deep wide pan and gently slide few balls in hot oil.
- Don't crowd the pan else they may stick together and break while flipping the sides.
- When one side get cooked then only turn the side and let the other side also get nice golden colour.
- Remove from the pan when done from both the sides and let them cool down for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl add some water (at room temperature )add some salt and soak the vada's in it for 10 minutes
- Now gently squeeze the vada's and arrange in a serving dish.
- Whisk the yogurt with 2 tbsp sugar and rock salt to taste.
- Add yogurt over the vada's and then drizzle some date chutney and mint chutney over them.
- Sprinkle some roasted cumin powder and pepper powder.
- Garnish with pomegranate pearls and chopped coriander and serve !