Suran ki sabzi- A delicious stir fry made with boiled Yam, yogurt and basic Indian spices
Suran ki sabzi-/Yam/Jimikand/Elephant foot yam /oal/ol/ole is an edible tuber and is totally different from tapioca and sweet potato. Though people often confuse between the three. It is high on carbs and is a very good source of potassium, proteins, vitamins,fiber and antioxidants. Very high in omega 3 fatty acids.
Suran/yam has a cooling effect on the body, promotes digestion. Also good for heart health, have anti aging properties and has anti coagulating properties . Helps prevent the blood from clotting and it also increases estrogen levels in women.
But asthma, bronchitis , sinus patients should avoid or limit the intake of suran due to its cooling properties.
In North India specially In Uttar Pradesh its a ritual to make Suran ki sabzi on Deepawali Festival .As it is considered auspicious for Laxmi Poojan . As yam is easily available throughout the year and is very reasonably priced, it’s a good idea to include it in our regular diet.
How To Peel And Clean Suran
To clean and chop yam – Before you start working apply oil on your knife and hands and then scrub the yam under running water . Don’t forget to grease your hands or wear gloves otherwise they may get itchy due to the yam’s skin. After chopping the suran either boil it immediately or soak in water with some salt and turmeric added else it will get oxidized and turn dark in colour.
Suran is quite a hard vegetable so to chop it easily and perfectly its better to first make 1 inch thick slices from the whole suran and then you can easily peel the slices and chop it into small pieces.
How To make Suran ki Sabzi
First of all boil the chopped suran pieces in enough water and then drain the water .This step ensures that the suran will not give you itching in your throat while eating the sabzi . Making sabzi from raw suran is not advised due to this same reason. Either you should boil or deep fry the suran before cooking.
As suran is quite blend in taste so a good amount of spices ,enough oil and a souring agent is needed to make it into a delicious curry .Addition of yogurt improves the texture and the taste.
You can also try making-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates.
Suran Ki sabzi,Yam stir fry +video
- 1 kg Yam / Suran
- 1/2 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2 tsp Chili flakes /Kuti hui laal mirch
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1/3 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- to taste salt
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- To clean and chop yam - Before you start working - apply oil on your knife and hands and then scrub the yam under running water and then make big slices or strips of 1 inches thickness.. Don't forget to grease your hands otherwise they may get itchy due to the yam's skin.
- Then peel the yam skin carefully with a strong and sharp knife and chop into small cubes.(after peeling 1 kg whole Suran you will get around 750 gm suran pieces )
- Wash the chopped suran pieces with enough water and then pressure cook with 2.5 glasses of water and 1/4 tsp turmeric . You may need to cook for 3-4 whistles depending on the quality of suran, But don't over cook it else it will get mashed up while stir frying.
- You can also boil it in a pan then add some extra water and cook till done .
- Drain the boiled suran on a colander to remove the extra water.
- Mix all the spices and salt in a small bowl and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom wide pan or use a nonstick pan.
- Now add the cumin and carom seeds in the oil,when they start to crackle add asafoetida and cloves and give it a stir.
- Add the mixed spices in the pan and then immediately add the beaten yogurt and mix.
- Keep stirring the yogurt until it start boiling.
- Now add the boiled suran pieces in the yogurt and mix gently.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 3-4 minutes ,mix twice in between.
- Now add the chopped coriander and mix gently.
- Serve with paratha,poori ,roti or as a side dish with your meal,taste great with almost every thing.
Interesting idea. Will definitely try.