Cabbage Pea Pulao- a quick and healthy one pot meal
Cabbage Pea Pulao is a mildly flavored pulao with very less ingredients. You can make this pulao in a pressure cooker or can use a pan. It is a easy healthy one pot meal and is vegan and gluten free .
Cabbage pea pulao is also a perfect recipe for kids lunch box, paired with some yogurt and salad it is a complete meal. Roasted cabbage gives a mild and unique flavor to this rice and fresh peas gives natural sweetness. The spice comes from green chilies and ginger , this is mildly spices rice but you can adjust the quantity of green chilies as per your preference.
I have used long grain basmati rice for making this cabbage pulao but you can use any rice of your choice to make this cabbage pulao, taste great with any rice. I love serving this Cabbage pulao with raita but also taste great with green chutney, peanut chutney, mirchi ka salan or any tangy tomato based curry.
You can also try these recipes- Ginger chutney, Peanut chili chutney, Set Dosa, Achari Gobhi, Tomato Rasam
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL – MAAYEKA FOR REGULAR UPDATES OF NEW RECIPES
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Cabbage and Pea Pulao
- 1.25 cup Rice/chawal
- 4 cup Cabbage / Patta Gobhi
- 1 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.25 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/4 cup Cooking Oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1//2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 2 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 6 Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- Wash rice and soak for about 10-15 minutes in enough water
- Thinly slice cabbge , wash and keep in a colaender to drain the water completely.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom broad pan and then add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When seeds start popping then add chopped green chilies, dried red chili , the whole garam masala and curry leaves.
- Now add the shredded cabbage and sauté it on high heat. keep stirring it for around 2 minutes so it get a nice roasted flavor and shrink in volume.
- Add the green peas and mix and stir for a minute.
- Now add all the dry powder spices and stir well to mix.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and then add rice in the pan.
- Gently mix rice with the cabbage masala.
- Now add 2.5 cup hot water and mix well.
- Give it a boil, when it start boiling reduce the flame and simmer till done.
- Do stir 1-2 time in between. sprinkle few spoons of water if needed.
- Switch off the heat when done and let it rest for 5 minute.
- Gently Fluff the pulao with a fork and enjoy.
- Serve with yogurt, kadhi, chutney or salad