Cabbage Pea Pulao- a quick and healthy one pot meal
Cabbage Pea Pulao is a mildly flavored pulao with very less ingredients. You can make this pulao in a pressure cooker or can use a pan. It is a easy healthy one pot meal and is vegan and gluten free .
Cabbage pea pulao is also a perfect recipe for kids lunch box, paired with some yogurt and salad it is a complete meal. Roasted cabbage gives a mild and unique flavor to this rice and fresh peas gives natural sweetness. The spice comes from green chilies and ginger , this is mildly spices rice but you can adjust the quantity of green chilies as per your preference.
I have used long grain basmati rice for making this cabbage pulao but you can use any rice of your choice to make this cabbage pulao, taste great with any rice. I love serving this Cabbage pulao with raita but also taste great with green chutney, peanut chutney, mirchi ka salan or any tangy tomato based curry.
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL – MAAYEKA FOR REGULAR UPDATES OF NEW RECIPES
Cabbage and Pea Pulao
- 1.25 cup Rice/chawal
- 4 cup Cabbage / Patta Gobhi
- 1 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.25 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/4 cup Cooking Oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1//2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 2 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 6 Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- Wash rice and soak for about 10-15 minutes in enough water
- Thinly slice cabbge , wash and keep in a colaender to drain the water completely.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom broad pan and then add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When seeds start popping then add chopped green chilies, dried red chili , the whole garam masala and curry leaves.
- Now add the shredded cabbage and sauté it on high heat. keep stirring it for around 2 minutes so it get a nice roasted flavor and shrink in volume.
- Add the green peas and mix and stir for a minute.
- Now add all the dry powder spices and stir well to mix.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and then add rice in the pan.
- Gently mix rice with the cabbage masala.
- Now add 2.5 cup hot water and mix well.
- Give it a boil, when it start boiling reduce the flame and simmer till done.
- Do stir 1-2 time in between. sprinkle few spoons of water if needed.
- Switch off the heat when done and let it rest for 5 minute.
- Gently Fluff the pulao with a fork and enjoy.
- Serve with yogurt, kadhi, chutney or salad