Ginger chutney- A Tangy, sweet and spicy Ginger chutney from Southern India
Ginger Chutney/ Allam Pachadi is a very popular chutney from Andhra Pradesh. I love the tangy, spicy taste with a hint of sweetness in it .It is usually served with Pesarattu , Adai ,dosa, Set Dosa , Idli ,Lemon Rice or any snack. We love this ginger chutney so much that we have this as a side dish with Methi Aloo Paratha , Moong Daal cheela , Daal chawal ,it goes well with every thing.
Ginger have so many medicinal properties and is special good to use during monsoon and winter .Ginger helps in digestion,very good for relief in cold and congestion, relieves nausea, loss of appetite.
It also helps in Morning sickness and motion sickness,reduce inflammation, improve respiratory conditions and many more health benefits. Ginger can be used fresh or dried form ,both ways its beneficial.
Though a good quantity of ginger and red chilies are used to make this ginger chutney but addition of jaggary and tamarind balance the flavors and make it tangy,spicy with a hint of sweetness.
You can adjust the quantity of ingredients according to your taste preference. This is quite a thick chutney so you can easily pack in lunch boxes and smear in dosa and uttapams. so while grinding use little water at a time
Ginger chutney /Inji Chutney/ allam pachdi stays well for 3-4 days at room temperature and about 10-12 days in the refrigerator. You can serve it with Upma, biryani, Idli, Dosa, Vada, Rice , Poori ,paratha aur any snack of your choice ,taste awesome with every thing .Do try this once and it become regular in your kitchen 🙂
Do try this chutney with-
Ginger Chutney Recipe, Allam Pachadi Recipe
- 135 gms Ginger / Adrak 1 cup chopped
- 10 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 2 tsp White Lentils / Urad ki dal (dhuli)
- 2 tsp Bengal gram /chana daal
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 3 tbsp Jaggary / Gud *
- 30 gms Tamarind / Imli
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- Salt to taste
- 3.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash, peel and chop ginger into small pieces.
- Soak tamarind in warm water and then squeeze out the pulp and discard the seeds.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the red chilies on low heat till they change the colour and become crisp.Remove the chilies from the pan and keep aside.
- Now add the chopped ginger in the pan and saute for 3-4 minutes on medium heat ,remove from the pan.
- Now add the urad daal, chana daal, Fenugreek seeds, Mustard seeds and curry leaves in the pan and saute till the urad daal change the colour and become golden. (add little oil if needed while roasting)
- Remove the pan from the flame and mix all the roasted ingredients and let it come to room temperature,
- Add all the ingredients, Jaggary , tamarind pulp and salt in the mixer jar and grind to make a fine thick pulp.
- Take out the prepared chutney and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds,asafoetida and few curry leaves and when mustard start crackling add the prepared chutney in it and saute for a minute.
- Let it cool down completely and then fill it in a clean jar.
- Serve this chutney as a accompaniment with Idli, dosa, rice ,paratha or any snack of your choice.
- Stays well for 3-4 days at room temperature and 15 days in the refrigerator.