Green Moong Pulao- a healthy one pot meal made with rice, moong bean sprouts and mix vegetables.
Green Moong Pulao is a flavourful and delicious one pot meal. It is a perfect recipe to use your leftover rice or make it from scratch using raw rice like you us ally make your pulao. you can add any vegetables of your choice to make it wholesome and healthy. I have used moong sprouts in it but you can also use soaked and boiled moong beans in it if sprouts are not available.
Mung beans are very healthy and easy to digest beans and i use them regularly to make daal, sprouts, cheela and for this rice . Moong is a great source of protein, potassium, Magnesium and fiber. It promote heart and gut health and help to reduce inflammation. controls diabetics , body weight and help to blood pressure and much much more.
Sprouted moong beans have added benefits. They contain fewer calories than the normal beans and are high in fiber and protein. They are called as nutritional powerhouse, so if possible try making sprouts from mung beans or any whole beans for added nutritional benefits for a healthy vegetarian and vegan diet.
How to easily sprouts mung beans at home
Making moong sprouts is very easy . I have made a detailed post on perfectly making mung sprout at home . It need minimum 3-4 days to perfectly sprout mung beans. first of all you have to soak them overnight then drain them and let them sprout for 3- 4 days. you can easily sprout them in a colander or in a cloth .
Check my post here –How to easily make Mung bean sprouts
This pulao is a no onion garlic recipe like all my recipes. few basic spices along with some pav bhaji masala is added for the wonderful aroma. you can serve this moong pulao with raita, dahi or dahi ki kadhi and a filling delicious will be ready to enjoy. It is also a good recipe to pack in lunch boxes along with some dahi and salad.
You can also check these recipes-
Green Moong Pulao
- 1.5 cup Bean sprouts/moong sprouts boiled
- 2 cup Rice/chawal cooked
- 1/2 cup Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch chopped
- 1/3 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar Boiled
- 2 big Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1/3 cup Carrot / Gajar optional
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted / Makkhan optional
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Chili powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Pav Bhaji Masala
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3 Dried Red Chilli, Whole optional
- Boil the moong sprouts in the pressure cooker with a cup of water, pinch turmeric and salt for 1 whistle on medium heat.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and add oil and butter or use only oil or ghee.
- Now add the cumin seeds ,whole dried red chili and asafoetida in it.
- When cumin start to crackle then add tomato pulp and salt, cover and cook on low heat till tomato become soft and mushy and start releasing some oil.
- Add the chopped capsicums ,carrots and frozen peas , mix and cover and cook till they become soft but remain crunchy.IF available then use coloured capsicum in it.
- Now add all the dry spices and the boiled mung and stir fry for a minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and mix, you can sprinkle 1 tbsp water if needed.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee and saute the rice for a minute and then cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes so it will heat up nicely.
- Now switch off the heat and add lemon juice and fresh coriander in it .
- Serve hot with raita, dahi or Gujarati kadhi.
- You can add any vegetable of your choice like- cabbage, cauliflower, beans,corn, capsicum etc.
- you can use both-long grain or short grain rice for making this pulao.