Malai Kulfi- a frozen Indian milk dessert
Kulfi is a very popular Indian dessert.It is basically a dense ice cream with intense Indian flavours .Kulfi is made in few flavours as compared to ice cream . Malai kulfi, kesar kulfi , Mango kulfi are the most popular flavours of kulfi
Traditionally kulfi is made by reducing full fat milk and then your choice of nuts ,sugar and flavours are added and then it is set in aluminium or earthen ware moulds. But their are few different ways to thicken it,You can use rabdi ,add condensed milk and cream or add mawa to give richness and texture in it.You can make as par your choice.
I made this Kulfi by reducing the milk first and then added some home made mawa in it to give thickness,body and texture . Addition of saffron and pistachio enhance the flavour and taste. Do try this Malai kulfi once and you will surely love this .
- 1 liter Whole Milk / Doodh
- 6 tbsp Sugar / Chini
- 10 Pistachio / Pista
- 1/2 cup Khoya/Mawa/solidified milk
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder *
- pinch of Saffron / Kesar crushed
- 1 tsp Kewra water optional
- Soak saffron in 1tbsp milk and keep aside
- Soak pistachio for few hours and then peel and slice them.(you can also dry grind them coarsely without soaking)
- In a wide and heavy bottom pan boil milk and let it simmer till it reduce to 3/4 in quantity.
- Now add grated mawa ,saffron, chopped pistachio and sugar and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile keep stirring to mix the mawa ,there should not be any lumps left.
- Now remove from the heat and add cardamom powder.
- Let it cool down at room temperature then add the kewra essence(or rose water)
- Now fill it in the kulfi moulds till 3/4 volume and keep in the freezer to set.
- When you want to serve then just wash the mould with tapid water or rub between your palms or just slide a butter knife around it.
- Serve immediately .