Daal makhani -Black lentils and kidney beans cooked with cream – North India’s favourite daal!!
Daal Makhani or Maa di Daal – This is probably the most popular Indian lentil preparation across the world which originated in Punjab but now enjoyed all over.
The appeal of Dal Makhani is its rich and creamy texture and is traditionally cooked overnight on a clay oven (known as Tandoors), its characteristic taste comes from the slow and thorough cooking and addition of butter and cream.
This recipes is just like the dal Makhani served in restaurants and taste awesome !!
How To Make Dal Makhani
First of all choose good quality of rajma and whole urad daal as very old stock takes time to cook. Then do soak the lentils overnight that way they will cook better. First slow cook the daal in the pressure cooker till the daal become soft and creamy, After first whistle lower the flame and let it cook for around 20- 25 minutes
Add whole spices in the daal while cooking it in the pressure cooker, addition of whole spices always gives nice flavour as compared to the powdered garam masala.
Do add cream and butter in the daal to get the creamy texture and taste of the restaurant wali daal. In case you don’t want to add that much butter and cream then add full fat milk and some butter.
After pressure cooking the daal ,mash it slightly and then add the tadka, cream and simmer for 30 minutes on low heat. Slow cooking enhance the taste of the daal. In most of the hotels this daal is cooked overnight in tandoors which is the secret of that amazing restaurant style daal makahni or daal bukhara. But in this version, we’ll be cooking it in a kitchen setup, and in a much shorter time
Dungaar- You can also give dungar (charcoal smoke )to the daal which enhance the flavors and give a restaurant like taste to your daal.
Do try these delicious Daal Recipes-
- Moong Daal Pakoda Kadhi
- Khatti Moong Daal
- Moong daal Paneer Cheela
- Lauki Moong Daal Sabzi
- Suva Moong Daal
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Daal Makhani Recipe
- 1 cup Whole Black Lentil/ Sabut Urad
- 1/4 cup Kidney Beans/ Rajma
- 1.5 inch Ginger/ adrak
- 3 Green Chilies
- 2 tsp Kshmiri Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- to Taste Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Kasoori Methi
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cream
- A Piece Of Charcoal Optional
Tempering / Tadka
- 4 Tomato
- 1 tsp Cumin/Jeera
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 Inch Cinnamon/ Daalchini
- 2 green Cardamom
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 tbsp Ghee or butter
- Wash and soak black lentil (urad daal) and rajma(kidney beans) together in enough water for at least 8 hours.
- Drain the water and wash thoroughly at least for 4-5 times till the water stays clear even while washing the daal.
- Take the lentil,kidney beans, grated ginger, 1 tsp chili powder and 2 glasses of water and pressure cook for2 whistles on high flame then lower the heat and let it cook for another 20minutes.
- When the cooker cools down completely, open thepressure cooker. The cooked lentils should be very soft to touch. Thereshould be no need to mash the lentils.
- Chop and blend tomatoes, chilies and 1 tsp ginger to a smooth puree.
- Heat 2 tblsp oil and 2 tblsp butter in the cooking pan, and add cumin, cardamom,cinnamon,cloves and bay leaf. When the cumin turns golden add the tomato puree and cook for a minute.
- Then add the chili powder (use Kashmiri chili powder to give a nice andbright colour), turmeric and coriander powder and cook till the oil starts separating from the mixture.
- Add the cooked daal(lentil), water, kasoori methi and milk and simmer for 30 minutes.(this daal will thicken after some time so make sure to add enough water for cooking)
- Add cream(can use1/2 cup to 1 cup cream-depends on your choice,or you can substitute this with 2 cups of milk for a low fat version) cook for another 5 minutes
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with a dollop of fresh butter on top .
- Serve with Jeera rice ,naan or any bread of your choice.
Ekdam badhiya me and my family members…….loved the taste ……thanks
Thank you !Glad you and your family enjoyed it
You have used coriander powder in the STEP 7 but the ingredient & quantity is not mentioned in the list. How much should we add ?
Anajana, the round-up for CWS-June: Black Gram has been posted; have sent you a mail also. http://tiffincarrierantiques.blogspot.com/2012/07/cooking-with-seeds-june-2012-black-gram.html
wow….attractive presentation….yummy recipes…..
hi i had seen dal makhani in one of tv shows long back and i had tried it. though minus bay leaves and all. instead i used garam masala in it and the creamy look it gave came out very good. ur jeera rice looks even yummier
Hi Maayeka ,
I'm Punitha of
Dal Makhani looks simply awesome!!!
Very nice combo with the jeera
At your free time do visit my blog
and drop your valuable comments
Anisha Ranjit says
I love Dal Makhani… this is a delicious recipe. I would love to try this saatvik version.
sowmya's creative saga says
the pictures are so very tempting..yummy combo…
looks so delicious…
Lubna Karim says
That's an extremely creamy and yummy of dal recipes…I am drooling….
Gayathri NG says
Delicious n creamy, very healthy gravy…
the classic dish. looks so delicious!
Perfect combo,so very delicious!!
Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)
2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom
Now Serving says
Wow! Dal Makhani looks great! It's a fav whenever we go to delhi 🙂 Great snaps dear
Suja Manoj says
Tempting combo,looks awesome.
Nayana Shetti says
Perfect Mouthwatering Combo..!!
Nayana Shetti says
Delicious mouth watering combo..!!
@Nisha Yes, the urad dal and rajma have to be washed and cooked together. Thanks for pointing it out – I've mentioned it in the recipe now. Thank you! 🙂
Kaveri Venkatesh says
Dal makani looks super delicious…Lovely combo.
Spice up the Curry says
dal makhani is my fav. But i never made at home. Always order when i go to restaurant. yours looks really very good.
Ooooooooooooooo I lovveeeeeeeeeee Dal Makhani!!!!!!
Whenever we go eat in restaurant, I always order this one. It feels like Tadka Dal can be cooked at home, but Dal Makhani? There's something special about it!
P.S.: Anjana – Do you wash urad dal & rajma and soak together? (not given in the procedure..)
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Giveaway # 1: Cupcake Carrier – Bake n' Take!
Dal Makhani looks simply awesome, nice combo with the jeera rice..
DAl makhani looks rich and creamy and best dide for Jeera rice.
One of the most tried and tested and awsomest combos!
Anjana ji,Thanks for stopping by my blog. Andyou have a wonderful space here.Pics are very tempting.Am going to browse thro ur archives.
super tempting dishes, nice combo sounds so yummy.
Hooney Macarooney says
I lurrrveee daal makhani.. Yours looks awesome!
Divya Pramil says
Lovely combo and delicious daal recipe
Participate and win prizes
The Master Chef Contest
You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes
The Dal Makhni looks so creamy. And the jeera rice – perfect combo.
Our family fav dish..pics are droolworthy..Thnx for linking it to my event page, but please can you link my event page here on your post? Thanks !!
Omg, am inviting myself to ur place, wat a lovely dishes together.
Delicious Adventures says
That's a lovely blog and recipe…visit mine sometime at Delicious Adventures
Treat and Trick says
Perfect and fabulous combo!
Dal makhani looks delecious 🙂 lovely clicks too
A perfect combo…though i'm not a huge fan of dal makhani 🙂
Thanks a lot for stopping by and leaving such lovely words for my Book Cake and Crib Cake 🙂
Very rich n delicious