Suran Ki Sabzi- Elephant Foot Yam Cooked with spices and yogurt
Suran Ki Sabzi- Suran/Yam/Jimikand/Elephant foot yam – is an edible tube, but is different from sweet potato, though people often confuse between the two. It is high on carbs and is a very good source of potassium, proteins, vitamins,fiber and antioxidants. Very high in omega 3 fatty acids.
Suran/yam has a cooling effect on the body and has anti coagulating properties which prevent the blood from clotting, and it increases estrogen levels in women.
As YAm is easily available throughout the year and is very reasonably priced, it’s a good idea to include it in our regular diet.
Do try these delicious recipe to serve with Sattu paratha-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Suran ki Subzi / Yam Curry
- 500 gram Yam / Suran
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 2 tbsp Yogurt / Dahi
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1/3 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
Tempering / Tadka
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- a pinch Cloves / Lavang powder
- To clean and chop yam - Before you start working - apply oil on your hands and then scrub the yam under running water and then make big slices or strips. Then peel the yam skin carefully with a strong and sharp knife. Don't forget to grease your hands otherwise they may get itchy due to the yam's skin.
- Cut into big pieces, and wash them thoroughly. Boil till done, or pressure cook with 2 glasses of water for 2 whistles on medium heat.
- Drain and keep aside, when cooled completely chop and make medium size pieces.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan and add cumin and carom seeds. When the seeds turn golden in color then add asafoetida and clove powder.
- Add turmeric and add the boiled yam pieces.
- Stir and then add all the dry spices, mix and then add whipped yogurt. Mix gently.
- Let it cook on slow heat for about 5 minutes - stir 2,3 times in between.
- Add chopped fresh coriander and serve .