Aloo methi -A simple and flavourful stir fry of fresh fenugreek and potatoes
Aloo methi is a classic North Indian stir fry /Dry curry,full of rustic and simple flavours.Fenugreek have a strong flavour, is slightly bitter in taste and give a very distinct and unique taste to the dish.I cook methi with just few spices to enhance the flavour.
Fenugreek/methi is a seasonal winter vegetable,but now this is available through out the year. Fresh leaves are used to make curry,stir fries and to make parathas etc.The dried leaves of fenugreek are refered as– kasoori methi and is also used for flavouring curries. Lowering of cholesterol and fighting diabetes are just some of the fenugreek benefits that has on your health.
The seeds of fenugreek-Methi dana is used for tempering curries and in pickles and as methi is very good for health so used for the treatment of Diabetes,artheritis,high cholesterol,gas troubles and many more.
Aloo Methi Subzi /Potato and Fenugreek stir fry
- 3 Potatoes / Aloo chopped
- 3 cup Fresh Fenugreek / Hari Methi finely chopped*
- 1 Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder ( optional )
- 3/4 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- Remove the hard stem of fenugreek,use only the leaves and tender stems.
- Wash them well with water and then chop finely.
- Scrub and wash potatoes and chop into cubes(peeling the potato skin is optional)
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan or a nonstick pan and add cumin seeds,when seed start crackling add chopped green chilies.saute for few seconds.
- Add turmeric, chopped potatoes and salt,mix well and cover and cook on low heat for approx 2-3 minutes or till half done.(no need to add water for cooking,potato will cook in the steam)
- Now add chopped fenugreek and tomatoes.mix well,cover and cook on low heat.
- Keep stirring in between 2-3 times.so it will not burn or stick in the bottom of the pan.
- When almost done ,add chili powder and mango powder,mix gently.
- Cover and simmer for a minute.
- Serve hot .
If fresh fenugreek is not available then use kasoori methi-soak 1/2 cup kasoori methi in water for 5 minutes,squeeze the extra water and add at step 6.