Kairi Chi Daal-Bengal gram,raw mango and coconut salad-a specialty from Maharashtra
Kairi Chi Daal- Kairi chi daal is a specialty from the state of Maharashtra.It can be served as a snack,side dish or as salad.It is very good to have this salad during summer season,as it is fresh,low in calories and don’t need much cooking.I saw this recipe in a cookery show and loved the simple and fresh flavours of this recipe It is specially made during Marathi new year -Gudi Padwa celebration and on the day of Ganesh visarjan.
Soaked and coarsely ground chana daal is mixed with grated raw mango and fresh coconut and a simple tempering is added to give flavour and a simple,quick and healthy side dish is ready to serve.
Kairi Chi Daal / Lentil Salad
- 1 cup Bengal gram/ Chana daal
- 1 cup raw mango grated
- 3 green chilies
- 1.5 tso ginger grated
- 5 curry leaves
- 4 dried whole red chilies
- 1/3 cup fresh coconut grated
- 3 tbsp Fresh coriander
- 2.5 tbsp Sugar
- to taste Salt
- 2.5 tbsp Cooking oil
- 2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seed/ Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 8 Curry leaves
- Wash and soak 1 cup chana daal in enough water for 4 hours.
- Drain water and coarsly crush the daal along with green chilies(take care that we need thick and coarse daal ,so don’t make a fine paste)
- In a bowl add the crushed daal, grated coconut, grated raw mango, ginger,chopped coriander, salt and sugar in a bowl and mix well.
- tempering-heat oil in a small pan and add the whole red chilies and fry till they become crisp.Now remove the fried chilies from the pan and keep aside.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds in the same pan,when cumin start crackling then add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Now remove the pan from the flame and add turmeric and chili powder and immediately pour the tempering over the daal mixture and mix.
- Crush the fried red chilies in small pieces and add in the daal mixture and mix well.
- Serve as a snack,side dish or salad.