Gujarati tuvar daal -Simple and flavourful sweet and sour daal made with Pigeon pea lentil and Indian spices-specialty of the state of Gujarat
Gujarati Tuvar daal/Arhar is the staple daal of North and South India. In south India Tuvar daal is used to make all type of rasams and sambhar,but in North part of India we don’t make many versions or variety with this Tuvar/Arhar daal,but arhar daal is the most favourite daal at my place.
I use arhar daal to make this Special Gujrati tuvar daal /surati daal which is also my family’s favorite as it have the same sweet and sour taste like the daal we regularly cook at our house.
The specialty of Gujarti tuvar daal is its sweet and sour taste. Peanuts, tomato and dry dates/ kharik/chuhara is added while boiling the daal. then kokum,jaggary and spices are added and then it is simmered for some time. Lemon juice is added after switching off the gas.
The tempering is also important and is very flavourful and different then the regular tuvar daal. The addition of cloves , cinnamon and bay leaf along with mustard,fenugreek and cumin gives a very nice flavour to the daal.
Do try these Daal Recipes-
Gujrati Tuvar Daal /Surati Daal
- 3/4 cup Tuvar Daal/ Arhar Daal
- 1 tbsp Yellow Lentil/ Moong Daal optional
- 2 tbsp
- 1.5 tbsp Peanuts/ Moongphali
- 1 medium Tomato chopped
- 2 Green chili Chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger/ Adrak chopped
- 3 Dried dated/Kharik
- 15 Curry leaves
- 1.5 tbsp Jaggary/ Gur
- 6 Kokum
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 4 tbsp
Fresh Coriander/ Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 1 tsp Coriander powder/ Dhaniya
- To Taste Salt
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 3/4 tsp Mustard Seeds/ Rai
- 1/2 tsp Cumin/ Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds/ Methidana
- 2 Cloves/ Lavang
- 1 Bay leaf/ Tejpatta
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon/ Daalchini
- 4 Dried whole red chilies
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 6 Curry Leaves
- Wash and soak daal 2-3 times in enough water.(Moong daal is added to give smoothness to the daal)Soak daal in 2 cups of water for 20 minutes.
- In the pressure cooker add the soaked daal along with the water in which it is soaked,peanuts,chopped tomatoes ,kharik and green chilies.
- Now pressure cook for 3 whistles or cook till cooked completely and become soft to touch.Mash the daal well with a laddle or whisk, and deseed and chop the kharik lengthwise.
- Now add around 4 cups of water,ginger and all the ingredients and spices listed .Mix and cook the daal on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Tempering-heat oil and ghee in a small pan.add mustard ,cumin and fenugreek seeds.When seeds start crackling then add all the other ingredients of tempering and saute for few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the boiling daal. Add chopped coriander and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and chapatis
Jenny Brooks says
This pressure cooker recipe really looks tasty! I just bought one of those cookers last week so this recipe just came handy for me. Many thanks for taking the time to share with us.
Dirty Karma says
What a nice recipe. Thanks for sharing!
This looks really tasty. Thanks for sharing!
Slow cooker reviews says
Looks very nice and tasty, thanks for sharing!
John Baker says
Thanks for sharing this pressure cooker recipe. It looks great.
Tabatha Alward says
This sounds so good. I love the fact that it is cooked by a pressure cooker
Priya Suresh says
Very comforting dal, with some rice i can happily have this dal.
looks so marvelous!!!
Delicious recipe !
Wer SAHM says
wow such a delicious dal, with chawal…feeling hungry now
i had made this dal after seeing it in dassana's blog.. will try your version too:)
Linsy Patel says
my favorite dal.
Sapana Behl says
Love this gujju version of Toor dal…
Razina Javed says