Sweet and sour sweet potato curryShakarkand/sweet potato is a tuber and is very high in vitamin B6,good source of VitC,D ,Iron,Magnesium and is very rich in fiber and is fat free so now becoming popular worldwide.It is a versatile tuber ,you can bake, roast, grill or boil it and can make many different types of dishes with it or just enjoy the plain roasted one as a snack.
Roasted shakarkandi is very popular during winter as a snack or can be enjoyed just plain roasted one. street vendors on small stalls sells these charcoal grilled sweet potatoes,which are then peeled ,cubed and few spices and tangy chutnies are mixed in it and a tangy and spicy snack is served in just few minutes.I have posted the chat recipe here- Shakarkand ki chat and this sweet and sour shakarkandi ki subzi taste very delicious too
Roasted or boiled sweet potato is also used to make tangy curry ,which can also be used during fasting .try this yogurt and sweet potato curry for a change from the routine wali potato curry
Prep time-10 min
Cooking time-10 min
- Sweet potato /shakarkand – 400 gms
- Yogurt /dahi -1/2 cup
- Green chili,chopped -1
- Ginger,chopped -1 tsp
- Fresh coriander,chopped – 1.5 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric /haldi -1/3 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt -to taste
- Garam masala -pinch of
- Cumin seeds /jeera-1 tsp
- Mustard seeds /rai- 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing- a pinch of
- Cooking oil- 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder- 1/2 tsp
- Wash and slice sweet potato in thick roundals or pieces.
- Add 1 glass of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles or cook till it become soft.
- Peel the skin and roughly mash the sweet potato or chop into pieces.
- In a pan add curd and 1 cup water and whisk well.
- Add all the dry spices , mashed sweet potato, green chili and ginger in it.
- Mix well and cook on medium flame for about 7-8 minutes.
- Keep stirring in between to avoid curdling.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When cumin start crackling add asafoetida and switch off the flame.
- Add red chili in the tempering and pour over the boiling curry.
- Remove the curry from the heat and add chopped coriander and lemon juice.
- Mix and serve hot.