Shakarkand Sabzi- Sweet and sour sweet potato curry
Shakarkand/sweet potato is a tuber and is very high in vitamin B6,good source of VitC,D ,Iron,Magnesium and is very rich in fiber and is fat free so now becoming popular worldwide.It is a versatile tuber ,you can bake, roast, grill or boil it and can make many different types of dishes with it or just enjoy the plain roasted one as a snack.
Roasted shakarkandi is very popular during winter as a snack or can be enjoyed just plain roasted one. street vendors on small stalls sells these charcoal grilled sweet potatoes,which are then peeled ,cubed and few spices and tangy chutnies are mixed in it and a tangy and spicy snack is served in just few minutes.I have posted the chat recipe here- Shakarkand ki Chaat and this sweet and sour shakarkandi ki subzi taste very delicious too
Roasted or boiled sweet potato is also used to make tangy curry ,which can also be used during fasting .try this yogurt and sweet potato curry for a change from the routine wali potato curry
ou can also try these delicious recipes-
- Kesariya Thandai
- thandai Masala Powder
- Kanji Vada
- Soft Dahi vada
- Khatta Dhokla
- Matar Ki Kachori
- Tikoni Khaja Mathri
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Shakarkand Ki Subzi /Sweet Potato Curry
- 400 GMS Sweet potato /shakarkand
- 1/2 cup Yogurt /dahi
- 1 Green chili chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh coriander chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric /haldi- 1/3 tsp
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- Pinch Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- Pinch Asafoetida/hing
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- Wash and slice sweet potato in thick roundals or pieces.
- Add 1 glass of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles or cook till it become soft.
- Peel the skin and roughly mash the sweet potato or chop into pieces.
- In a pan add curd and 1 cup water and whisk well.
- Add all the dry spices , mashed sweet potato, green chili and ginger in it.
- Mix well and cook on medium flame for about 7-8 minutes.
- Keep stirring in between to avoid curdling.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When cumin start crackling add asafoetida and switch off the flame.
- Add red chili in the tempering and pour over the boiling curry.
- Remove the curry from the heat and add chopped coriander and lemon juice.
- Mix and serve hot.
- Serving suggestions- goes well with any Indian bread specially poori or paratha.