Jawar Bajra Ki Roti – Indian flat bread made with sorghum and pearl millet
Jawar Bajra Ki Roti -During winters we prefer to use food which is hot in nature according to ayurveda. Bajra is a gluten free healthy millet which is consumed specially in winters. It is rich in Iron,protein and a good source of vit B and amino acids. Their are many ways to use bajra but bajra flour is very easily used to make jawar bajra roti ,chapati, paratha etc.
Jawar /sorghum is also a gluten free millet, have high content of calcium,Iron,fibre and protein as compared to wheat ,it also helps to reduce cholesterol level.Though Jawar bajra ki roti and methi ki roti can be consumed all over the year but is mainly made during winters
It is best served with- Gujarati kadi, Aloo gobhi ki subzi and fresh jaggary /gur. Addition of fresh methi is optional to make jawar bajra ki roti but it do enhance the flavour and texture when added. Methi can also be substituted with fresh coriander leaves.
You may also like these recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates.
Jawar Bajra Ki Roti
Jawar Bajra Ki Roti - Indian flat bread made with sorghum and pearl millet
Servings: 3 people
- 1.5 cup Jawar ka atta/sorghum flour
- 1.5 cup Pearl millet flour /Bajra aata
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour / Atta
- 3/4 cup Fresh Fenugreek / Hari Methi chopped
- pinch Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Salt / Namak to taste
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- Wash methi leaves and chop them finely(discard the hard stems and yellow leaves)
- Take a big bowl add all the flours and spices.
- Now add chopped fenugreek and mix it well with the flour.
- Add just enough water to make a soft dough.
- Rest the dough for 2-3 minutes.
- Knead the dough again.
- Make small balls from the dough.
- Dust the dough ball with dry flour and roll to make a disc/roti.
- Transfer the rolled roti on a medium hot griddle.
- Cook till golden spot appear on one side.
- Turn the side and cook again.
- Now remove the roti from the griddle and cook it directly on the flame.
- Cook from both sides on medium heat till you get golden spots all over it.
- Remove and apply ghee or butter on it.
Serve hot . Serving suggestions-serve with Gujarati kadi and Aloo gobhi ki subzi
@Usha R -yes you can make it with out adding wheat flour,just use warm water to make the dough,addition of wheat flour makes it easy to roll.
Usha R says
Looks fantastic !! Quick question, can this recipe be made without the whole wheat flour ?
Lakshmi Grandhim says
Thanks Anjana ji. Will prepare this soon.