Fresh green gram and brinjal stir fry
Choliya /fresh green chana is fresh tender green gram,different from the dried chickpeas which we use to make choley. Its harvest time is winter season so very easily available in North India .On road sides we can see vendors and vegetable shops selling big pods or seperated pods of fresh choliya.
In my family we first offer the fresh crop of chana and wheat to holika dahan pooja .The big stalks of tender chana and wheat are roasted over the flame and then distributed as prashad.
Their are many recipes and dishes which can be made with fresh hara chana/choliya,we can make cutlets ,pulao,curry ,sweets and much more.The peeling of fresh choliya is quite time consuming but its worth the effort,half of the chana is often consumed while peeling itself.
This time I tried this simple choliya and baigan ki subzi ,which is quick ,easy and simple and full of fresh flavour of choliya.
Prep time-15 min
Cooking time-20 min
Cuisine- North Indian
- Fresh choliya, boiled – 1 cup
- Brinjal,chopped – 300 gm
- Potato,cubed – 200 gms
- Tomato,chopped – 150 gms
- Ginger,chopped – 1tbsp
- Fresh coriander,chopped- 2tbsp
- Turmeric -1/2 tsp
- Chili powder- 1tsp
- Mango powder- 1tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Cooking oil-4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds /methi dana- a pinch of
- Fennel seeds/saunf-a pinch of
- Asafoetida/hing- a pinch of
- Peel choliya and pressure cook with a cup of water for 3 whistles.
- Peel potato and dice into medium size pieces.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and add the tempering.
- When mustard start crackling add turmeric powder ,1 cup boiled choliya and chopped brinjal and potatoes.
- Add salt,chili powder and ginger and mix.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low heat till almost done.
- Now add chopped tomato,chopped fresh coriander and mango powder and mix gently.
- Cover and cook till done.
- Serve hot with roti ,poori or rice