Khatta dhokla -A popular steamed and savoury snack made from rice and lentils -a specialty from Gujarat(India)
Khatta dhokla is a traditional and very healthy farsan(snack) of Gujarat but now popular around the world.It is one of the healthy and nutritional dish from Gujarat.
Among the long list of their snacks/farsans – dhokla tops the list as khaman dhokla is the favourite of almost every one .What a lot of people don’t know is that Dhokla and khaman are two different types of snacks.
Dhoklas are made with rice and lentil batter, whereas khaman are made with gram flour/besan or chana daal batter. Chana daal dhokla is also named as vati daal na khaman. Besan khaman/ Nylon khaman is an instant recipe while for making chana daal dhokla you need preparation.
- 1/2 cup Rice/chawal
- 1/4 cup Bengal Gram/chana daal
- 1.5 tbsp Raw mango/ kachcha aam chopped
- 1/2 cup Sour Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Mint Leaves/ Pudina
- 5 Green chilies/ Hari Mirch
- 1 inch Ginger/ Adrak
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds/ Methidana
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander
- 3/4 Cup Water / Paani
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt
- 2.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/Hing
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 2 Green chilies/Hari Mirch
- Wash and soak rice and daal in enough water for 5 hours.Drain the water,grind to make a paste with 3/4 cup water, green chilies and ginger.take out in a bowl.
- Add salt,turmeric,asafoetida, fenugreek seeds,mustard seeds and curd and mix well.Cover and let it ferment well for minimum 8 -10 hours.
- Now add 2 .5 tbsp refined oil,chopped mint and mango pieces in the batter and mix gently.
- Heat 2 glass water in a steamer,and grease 2 steamer plates with oil. When water in the steamer start boiling then add 1 tsp Eno fruit salt in the batter and mix properly.
- Pour the batter in 2 plates, arrange them in the steamer, cover and close the steamer properly and steam for 15 -20 minutes ,first on high heat then on medium heat.
- Check with a tooth pick ,if come out clean then remove from fire and let it cool down for 10 minutes.
- Cut into pieces and garnish with fresh coriander and grated coconut.
- Serving suggestions-serve with coconut chutney, mint chutney or ketchup.