Keoka- a very healthy spice mix for new mothers to give after delivery
Keoka (k-o-ka)/ Kinona is a very healthy spice mix with medicinal properties. It is a must have ingredient to give after delivery and to lactating mothers.
Keoka is a mix of ajwain/ carom seeds, jeera/ cumin, dhaniya/coriander seeds and saunth (dried ginger powder). This powder can be made and stored for a month . This keoka is added daily in the new mothers chapati and poori dough, added in Gol Papdi , harira and kasa saunth etc .Can be added in sweet and savory both type of food items.
Ajwain is considered as a powerful cleanser, the best herbal cure for gastric problems and indigestion, Heaviness in the stomach, It also helps in the cleaning of stomach and uterus. Jeera /cumin is considered and used as lactating agent from ancient time. It also helps to relieve gastric problem and increase digestion. Coriander seeds helps to cure the lost appetite and aids in digestion, Saunth is again a powerful remedy for gastric issues ,give warmth and energy to the body, detoxify the body,increase appetite and have anti inflammatory properties.
So Keoka / kinona a mix of all these beneficial healing spices is surely given regularly to the new mothers after delivery so that they will be able to recover soon and able to digest all the healthy but heavy food easily.
Will post few more post natal recipes soon 🙂
- 1 cup Coriander seeds/ sabut dhaniya
- 1 cup Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 cup Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 3/4 cup Ginger Powder / Saunth
- Take a big plate and sun dry all the ingredients for a day to remove the moisture.
- Grind the spices in the mixer and make a slightly coarse powder.
- Store in an air tight jar.
- Add about 1.5 tbsp keoka , in a cup of wheat flour and make the dough for making roti ,paratha or poori.(add 1tbsp ghee and little salt in the dough)
- It can be used regularly for a month or more.
- During peak summer months use 1/2 cup of ginger powder /saunth in the keoka mix.
- Can use shahi jeera or regular jeera ,depends on availability, both are good.