Raw banana Fry- Crispy banana stir fry cooked in Southern Indian style
Raw banana fry is a very crisp and delicious recipe from Tamil Cuisine. This recipe can be done very quickly and easily.Raw bananas are very healthy ,they are a good source of fiber, minerals and vitamins, high in potassium and B6 so good for blood pressure control and are heart healthy .The fiber content is good for digestion . So do try to include banana in your regular diet either raw or ripe which ever ways suits you.
Though Banana is used mainly in Southern Indian cuisine but in Northern parts Banana is not only used as a fruits but also used to make many sweet and savory dishes .
For making this raw banana fry do not peel off the banana skin completely,use a potato peeler to peel the skin. slice them thinly so they roast well and don’t take too much time to cook. Blanching in boiling water is optional as some banana varieties need more time to cook so blanching reduces the cooking time. Addition of mango powder or lemon juice is again optional but highly recommended.
I have posted delicious banana recipes-
- Minty Banana Raita ,
- Kachcha kela ki Sabzi
- Paka kela ki sabzi,
- Stuffed Banana Pakoda,
- Kela Methi Nu Shaak
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Raw Banana Fry Recipe
- 5 Raw Banana/ kachcha kela
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 1/2 Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1.5 Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- sal to taste
- 7 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp White Lentils / Urad ki dal (dhuli)
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/4 Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash and peel firm green raw bannas using a potato peeler.
- Now slice them into thin roundels and blanch in hot boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Drain and keep aside (the blanching process is optional ,you can skip this step)
- Add salt ,chili powder and turmeric in the banana pieces and mix well.
- Heat oil in a wide and heavy bottom pan.
- Add urad daal, Mustard seeds ,when seeds start to crackle then add asafoetida, curry leaves and grated ginger
- Now add the sliced banana (1/2 quantity)and mix well, try to spread them in a single layer.
- Now cook on low heat and keep turn sides in between to avoid burning or sticking to the pan.(you can cover the pan with a lid for 2-3 minutes)
- When they get a nice golden colour from both the sides and become soft then remove from the pan and add mango powder or some lemon juice.
- Repeat the process from the remaining raw bananas.
- Serve hot with sambhar rice or rotis or have as a snack with tea or coffee.