Aam papad chutney – Tangy delicious Mango leather and fruit chutney!
Aam Papad Chutney -You may have heard and made many recipes and versions of the Indian ‘Sweet Chutney’. Some prefer to make it with dates and tamarind, some like to make with jaggery and tamarind, and some make it with raw mangoes.
Today I am sharing a different and very delicious chutney- specialty of my community – Aam Papad ki Meethi Chutney (Saunth)/Mango Leather Chutney.
Mango Leather/Aam Papad/Aamsotto/Amavat is used to make this chutney. You can use this chutney with any snack but in my community this is used most often with Dahiwadas. Aam papad is soaked, mashed and then boiled with some spices and sugar.
but if you are making it in small quantity then just soak mash and add spices , cooking is done to ensure a long shelf life.
Banana slices and grapes are added to the chilled chutney and then served with or drizzled over any chat or dahi vada. Banana should be added just before serving . Do discard the bananas from the left over chutney before refrigeration as banana give a strong flavor if kept for long time.
But adding banana and grapes is totally optional,you can make it without adding fruits and it taste awesome both ways!
The color of this aam papad chutney depends on the color of the aam papad. In my home town Mathura, Aam Papads are thick and dark brown – so the colour of the chutney is dark brown too.
If you get golden colored aam papads you will get a nice golden colored aam chutney. Try this once – you will surely like this! This aam papad chutney goes well with dahi vada, all the street foods and chaat items or serve as a dip with any snack of your choice.
If you are looking for some more delicious chutneys then try-
- Amchoor ki meethi saunth chutney
- Apple Chutney
- Mixed Fruit Chutney
- Tangy Plum Chutney
- Kiwi Mint Chutney
- Ginger Chutney
- Date and Tamarind chutney
- Tangy Tomato Chutney
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Aam Papad Chutney , Mango Leather Chutney
- 150 Grams Mango Leather / Aam Papad
- 1.5 tsp Tamarind / Imli Pulp ( Optional )
- 1 cup Grapes (Green, Seedless)
- 1.5 Banana
- 1.5 cup Sugar / Chini *
- 2.5 cup Water / Paani
- 3/4 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1/2 tsp Salt / Namak
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- Pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Chop the aam papad in small pieces and soak it in a 1.5 cup of water overnight or approx.4 hours or till it become soft.
- Grind the soaked aam papad in the mixer or with a hand blender and make a smooth puree.
- Take this puree in a pan and then add 1.5 cup water, tamarind pulp and sugar and cook on medium heat.
- When the mix starts boiling lower the flame and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, ginger, cumin powder,asafoetida and chili powder, mix and switch off the flame.
- Let it cool down completely, then chill in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Now add sliced bananas and grapes.(check notes below)
- Serve with Dahi Wada ,chaat or any snack or starter of your choice
- If you are making this chutney in a small quantity then you may skip the boiling procedure - just add everything after grinding. Mix well,add fruits and serve.
- Add fruits in just the portion you want to use now ,remove the banana slices from the leftover chutney before refrigerating, because it may get discolored and starts giving off a very strong banana flavour.
- Stays fresh easily for 3 weeks in a refrigerator.
- Instead of tamarind you can use mango powder.
- You can adjust the quantity of sugar and tamarind according to your taste and the quality of aam papad
Mehul Teli says
I have heard of many different aam papad recipes Anjana, but the aam papad chutney for the 1st time. A great recipe and a very delicious looking photo. You can contribute your recipes on the Prestige SmartChef website and definitely stand a chance to win Prestige gift vouchers with such amazing recipes.
Faseela Noushad says
wow what a flavorful chuteny…truly tongue tickling
Super Yummy Recipes
WeR SAHM says
this is really mouth watery preparation…
Inviting to join Ongoing Events
Let's Party – Prasadam Special
Taste Of Tropics – Authentic Indian Platter
Reshmi Mahesh says
Yummy chutney….Never tasted this…while reading the making process it brought lots of water in my mouth…:)
delicious and mouthwatering!
B-O-O-O-O Halloween Event Oct 5th to Nov 5th
SYF&HWS – Cook with Spices
South Indian Cooking (SIC) Series
Archana Potdar says
looks mouthwatering…just delicious!
Hamaree Rasoi says
Never tasted this with banana in it…Yum you version is making me go crazy !!
Wonderful and traditional
we also make the same kind of chutney with dates. your version looks yummy. best way to end a good meal.
thanks for sharing this yummy version..
delicious and tempting,..
Divya's Culinary Journey