Dabeli -Pav buns stuffed with spicy mashed potato and peanut, pomegranate pearls topping -A very popular street food from Gujarat
Dabeli is a very popular street food of Gujarat ,Its origin is from Kutch so it is also popular as Kutchi Dabeli. It is quite easy to make and is very delicious so now it is became popular all over India. Basically it is a pav sandwich stuffed with spiced tangy mashed potatoes.
A very flavourful spice mix- Dabeli masala is a must ,rest all the ingredients are easily available at home. Dabeli masala can also be made at home but good quality ready made Dabeli masala is also easily available in the market so you can use that too.
Date and tamarind chutney is also a main ingredient to make the Dabeli ,don’t skip adding this chutney as it gives a nice tangy taste . If you don’t have ready tamarind chutney at home then add some sugar or jaggary in tamarind paste and use that instead. Soft Pav buns should be used to make this but you can substitute it with burger buns if laadi pav are not available easily.
To make Dabeli a spicy potato mixture is made and then it is layered over the pav buns .Then roasted masala peanuts are put over the potato mixture. Pomegranate pearls and gram flour sev are set as garnish over the peanuts .you can also apply tamarind chutney on the pav before applying potato mixture.
Can also mix peanuts and pomegranate pearls with the potato mixture to make the assembling easier.You can adjust the spice level as per your preference but usually it is little sweet and spicy in taste and the texture of the potato mixture is slightly soft ,don’t make it too dry.
It is a close cousin of Vada pav , batata vada and Mumbai Pav bhaji , all these street foods are spicy and potato and pav are must in all these recipes.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates .
- 5 medium Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 6 tbsp Tamarind chutney /Imli ki chutney
- 5 tsp dabeli masala
- 3 tsp Red chili powder
- 3.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras optional
- 3/4 cup Nylon sev/besan sev
- 3/4 cup Pomegranate pearls /Anar ka dana
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 5 tbsp Green chutney (thick) optional
- 3/4 cup Water / Paani
- 12 Buns Pav
- 1 CUP Peanuts / Moongphali
- 1/2 TSP Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- To taste Salt / Namak
- peel the boiled potatoes and mash them.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin and asafotida.
- Now add tamarind chutney, red chili powder and the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Now add dabeli masala, salt and about 1/2 cup water and mix well
- You may need to add little more water as it depends on the quality of potatoes.the mixture should be smooth in texture, not too dry.so add water accordingly
- Switch off the heat and add chopped coriander in it and mix.
- HOW TO MAKE MASALA PEANUTS-
- Heat oil in a pan and add peanuts in it.
- Shallow fry the peanuts on low heat till they star to crackle and become golden in colour.
- Drain the peanuts on a paper napkin and add salt ,chili powder and mango powder and mix well.
- ASSEMBLING OF DABELI-
- Slit open the pav and apply little tamarind chutney on one portion.
- Take3-4 tbsps of potato mixture and apply on the pav .
- Now put some masala peanuts over the potato mixture,the quantity of peanuts again depends on your preference.
- Top it with some pomegrante pearls and fine besan sev .
- Cover it with other top slice of pav(can apply green chutney on this side ) and serve
- Serve some fried green chilies with Dabeli.
- You can add grated cheese over the potato mixture to make cheese Dabeli
- can apply some green chutney on one slice for a fresh minty taste.
Soma Saharay says
Anjanaji I am very much fond of your blog…. given my recent love for vegetarian dishes… would try out some of your dishes….
Thank You Soma !
Perfect snack item. I would like to make pav very often as i just love it…!!!!!
Great recipe. Thanks for sharing 🙂